Observatorio de Tenerife

MarkRadice

I was lucky to spend a week in September observing from El Observatorio de Tenerife.  One of our group, through contacts in the professional community, had booked time on a 20" f15 cassegrain.   This telescope is made available to visiting students or keen amateurs.  Using this telescope from such a site is a wonderful experience.  I would love to return when Mars and Jupiter are near opposition. 

Here is a brief youtube video:

59f5a40eae86e_YouTubeshortcut.jpg.277e70339047acd88f0a7dbd38b6cde1.jpg

Further details are available on my blog: http://www.refreshingviews.com/observing-from-tenerife/

59f5a46ce74e3_reducedTenerfieviewthroughobsy.thumb.jpg.7fc656cbbfd546da12e75ece2dc016bd.jpg

Not only did we use the telescope, we had access to a concrete pad to set up cameras etc and had use of a nearby office with loos, water, kettle etc.  It certainly makes a change from a SPOG night on Salisbury Plain.  As we had access to the big 'scope, I only took my binoculars and relaxed in an office chair while the camera clicked away. 

The first few nights were hampered by dust blown from the Sahara but later in the week, when the dust cleared, it revealed a sky like you would not believe.  There were a wealth of Messier objects visible to the naked eye along with dust lanes in the Milky Way.  It was simply fantastic!

59f5a48b71465_reducedTrailsStarStaX_IMG_5276-IMG_5468_gap_filling.thumb.jpg.72ac4f77451ae6d6ce337ec6d37ff122.jpg

After a night of observing, we drove back to the hotel before crashing out until the afternoon.  Then after dinner, it was back up to the observatory.  Eat sleep observe repeat.  

59f5a4e70c97f_reduceddawn.thumb.jpg.5d3cdaa3b8087e54956c123bab832780.jpg

Archived