NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AYOII and Nexus DSC first light

A couple of nights ago before the storm I finally managed to get my AYO II and Nexus DSC out to the dark site and managed to get 3 hours on the clock stargazing. I took the VX6 which has been out a few times but still waiting for that killer night to properly evaluate it, but thanks to the other night I now know a bit more about this scopes performance. I was also hoping to test some new EPs ES 11 82°  a 16 68° plus the 20 and 24 both 68°. 

After mounting the scope and starting the fan I had to make sure mount was level with the scope at 90 ° The Nexus DSC has GPS and within 30 seconds my location and time were updated. I used Polaris as my first alignment star and to my horror found I had left my illuminated reticle EP at home! Never mind, back to basics and centred Polaris best I could. Already I was noticing the smooth operation of the AYO and even though my scope is slightly unbalanced to the front to clear the tripod legs the mount was buttery smooth in operation. A bit too smooth on AZ so needed to tighten up a bit. In ALT it was also really smooth like a slow glide with finger pressure so it was pretty easy centering targets and that's with the ALT tightened down to stop the scope moving unexpectedly. My second alignment star was Capella, didn't really know if this was a good choice or enough separation. For alignment accuracy the idea is to be under O.5 and my alignment with these stars was 0.6 so I thought this will do. You can realign any of your chosen two at any time or choose a different one completely so no excuse really for not hitting the target! 

I brought up Vega on the list and with the 20mm moved the scope in the directions of the display arrows and watched the numbers count down. Getting it to near zero I took a peek and sure enough Vega was in the view ,not central but about a half way across so near enough for visual. I centred Vega and added it as a sync point and saw the display numbers reset to zero. Adding stars as sync points improves the pointing model. During the rest of the evening the high level clouds were making it a bit hit and miss but I went on to observe about 35 objects and really enjoyed the open clusters. I began to observe that the ES EPs are quite a step up from the BSTs I was using, with really good stars close out to the edge of the F5 mirror.

The Nexus has some really neat features, for example I made it list only objects in Cassiopeia which means one press of a button for the next object and minimal movement of the scope. NGC663 and NGC457 were well defined plus M103 in the area as well. You can set type of objects and mag levels which also help you narrow things down. It was a lovely way to observe, knock on the queen's door then cruise around the palace method. I did this for a number of the constellations as well and limiting the mag so there would be more chance of seeing things. You can also create observing lists in Sky Safari and upload them to Nexus, it's what I have started to do, one for each month. 

Of all the targets though it was M31 that produced the wow moment of the evening and I suspect this is the EPs pulling their weight, on a fairly average night of seeing there was this 10 minute clarity where I got to see Andromeda in really nice detail. I need to use these EPs more to get to know them as such but my instinct is they are very good ? I have to admit I was concentrating more on using the Nexus than the EPs.

It was a good start and I'm pleased that all this kit works and will hopefully last for many years. The AYOII is a work of art, compared to the Sabre which is also very good the AYO pulls ahead and looks and feels majestic. The addition of the Nexus meant I saw more objects that night in 3 hours than I could ever have hoped for by star hopping over multiple sessions! 

Finally and maybe this is just me I don't know but there is something really nice about observing in silence and without whirring motors or worrying about power and batteries. There is of course benefits of owning a 9.25 Evo and that will never go but this set up is one visit to the car without breaking your back! 

Sorry I meant to take a picture of it all in use but I forgot. Here's  previous pics before it all went live. 

36994923422_6bf41bc57f_z.jpg

36768635930_55125fa9d0_z.jpg

37024037011_6886d57a93_z.jpg

37166358525_4a2f15f1b4_z.jpg

5 hours ago, Piero said:

Great report! Very happy to read that you like your AYOII a lot!

I'm so looking forward to receive mine! Ordered on late July so, it's about half the way through! :)

Hi Piero, 

Yes do hang in there it will be worth it, possibly there by Xmas? Out of interest which AYO did you order and which colour ?! ?

3 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

John,

I didn't know the AYOII had the option for built in encoders !!! (just been to their website and read about the neat solution they offer).

It just got added to my "wish list" - thanks :)

Here's the link if anyone else is interested 

http://www.aokswiss.ch/ayo/ayo_ii/main_ayo_ii.html

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes for the AYO II Beat can add the encoders which because they are enclosed are protected from damage etc, this also adds another section to the mount which gives it some extra height over the standard model. The only downside is that it practically doubles the cost. There seems to be a wider selection of options out there if you are using refractors, like the Tecnosky and APM encodered mounts Rupert has at Astrograph it's just that the AYO II was definitely the best bet for my Newt which needed to be side mounted. For anyone considering this option of encoders in the AYOII because of the size restriction in the mount Beat has to limit the size to 5000 step encoders which are quadrature type output at 1250 x 4. Not the slowest and not the fastest but definitely providing very good accuracy. The AYOII Digi the bigger version comes with 10,000 step encoders which of course scorches the debit card even more! 

The other option  I liked was this that member Clem put together, but availability is the issue for most as it would be imported from US with all the taxes and agro,  but I suppose if someone was planning a visit etc ?

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

Hi Piero, 

Yes do hang in there it will be worth it, possibly there by Xmas? Out of interest which AYO did you order and which colour ?! ?

Hi John :) , I'll certainly wait for it! That would be a great Christmas present! One month ago FLO contacted me saying that it might be ready by the end of October, but I'm aware that it took about 6 months for many people. The choice of the colour was a tricky one. I like the red AYO, but the Tak is mostly white with blue writings and some black here and there. My current tripod is a SW 1.75" steel with black top. So eventually, I ordered a black AYO because it fits with most setup. 

That mount head looks just great! :)  In my opinion it is outstanding on your Berlebach tripod.   

20 minutes ago, Piero said:

Hi John :) , I'll certainly wait for it! That would be a great Christmas present! One month ago FLO contacted me saying that it might be ready by the end of October, but I'm aware that it took about 6 months for many people. The choice of the colour was a tricky one. I like the red AYO, but the Tak is mostly white with blue writings and some black here and there. My current tripod is a SW 1.75" steel with black top. So eventually, I ordered a black AYO because it fits with most setup. 

That mount head looks just great! :)  In my opinion it is outstanding on your Berlebach tripod.   

Hi Piero 

End of October would be perfect for you so fingers crossed you have it for November skies ? Must admit it was a close call between red and black when I was choosing but either colour I think would complement your Tak very nicely. Looking forward to seeing the pics ?

• 1 month later...

@JG777  

Hi John, 

Is your AYOII attached to your UNI tripod via M10 thread, right? 

I know that the AYOII supports both 3/8" and HEQ5 (M10) threads using the removable socket at the bottom. I just want to make sure that when that final removable socket is NOT removed, the AYOII accepts a M10 thread.

Said in another way, did you choose your Berleback UNI tripod with HEQ5 top? 

Thanks a lot for your help! 

Piero

Hi Piero

Yes, the AYO attaches with M10 thread, that thread is drilled into the AYO's removable extension. The AYO's pin spacer is also large enough to accept the UNI 18 pin if you are getting the Berlebach so no need to remove the pin which I had to do with the Sabre! 

Correct that removing the extension reveals 3/8 which gives great versatility for photo tripods. Best of both worlds. 

Will you have it for Xmas?  

13 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Hi Piero

Yes, the AYO attaches with M10 thread, that thread is drilled into the AYO's removable extension. The AYO's pin spacer is also large enough to accept the UNI 18 pin if you are getting the Berlebach so no need to remove the pin which I had to do with the Sabre! 

Correct that removing the extension reveals 3/8 which gives great versatility for photo tripods. Best of both worlds. 

Will you have it for Xmas?  

Super reply John! Thanks a lot for this!  :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm thinking about getting a Berlebach tripod to be used with the AYOII and Tak100. :) 

I totally agree with you about the versatily. The AYOII socket can be used as adapter for other photo tripod mounts if ever needed.

Archived