Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Needless Worry Caused by General Ignorance!

Azbec

Evening all!

Finally got to use my Skyliner 200P for the first time (briefly) tonight. Was fairly happy with my collimation (everything seemed fine) and enjoyed some lovely views of the moon through my 1.25" 25mm X-Cel LX. Detail was great, despite the seeing - which wasn't so great.

I then decided to take my 32mm 2" PanaView for a spin and couldn't get the thing into focus. Frustrated, I dropped the 1.25" adaptor and the 25mm back in, and carried on enjoying the moon for a few more minutes. I packed everything up and was extremely satisfied overall with my new scope - hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out on a few DSOs before SGL17.

While getting ready to turn in for the night, I pondered why I hadn't been able to focus the 32mm EP. I then suddenly remembered seeing a 2" drawtube extender knocking about, which I then confirmed and felt very silly for not remembering earlier! I won't be making that mistake again!

You won't be the last one to have had that issue. Many folk start their observing with BOTH adaptors installed ( their connected on arrival, and unless you know?)  its one or the other, but not both.

The Panaview makes for a great finder eyepiece when scanning the night sky, but makes the Moon look incredibly small in a vast Sea of Space, but either way, a great eyepiece.

Its possible too, that the 32mm won't focus if the focuser does not extend due to the weight of the Panaview, or for that matter, if you had a DSLR attached to the focuser, in which case, just check and correct the tensioner underneath the focuser, between the wheels.

It's very easy to do. And even after having my 2 inch Panaview for six months I've still done it. And stacked the 1.25 inch adapter on top of the 2 inch. And not just as a beginner, I still do it occasionally when swapping in the dark

I'm sure you'll enjoy using the 32mm Panaview. Some nights it's the only eyepiece I take out with me

Archived