Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Trouble

davyludo

If you don't think of them as magic devices which can defy light pollution and you use them to their best effect then you should not be disappointed.

First thing to remember is that any filter makes the view dimmer as it reduces the amount of light hitting your eye. What they do is reduce the unwanted light to as low as possible, whilst allowing as much of the wanted light through. This is what gives the improved contrast.

This means that, particularly with smaller scopes, you need to get yourself as dark adapted as possible and shield yourself from glare and stray light by using say an observing hood or towel over your head. These filters still perform best under a dark sky, as much because of your better dark adaptation as anything else.

Well worth buying both OIII and UHC filters even for small scopes, I've had fabulous views of the Veil and NAN in 85 and 100mm scopes.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, domstar said:

Hi Davy,

I've just seen this. Great report. Could you let us (me) know how your UHC filter goes in your ST102. I have a 4inch frac and would be interested to know what you think. I'm not the sort of guy who happily shells out over 40 quid for a small piece of glass but you know what happens when it gets cloudy. Having said that I've just ordered an Aero 30mm but I won't get it til November and I probably won't be allowed to use it till Christmas. How do you rate yours? (Man, I sound self-obsessed) Cracking report anyway.

I'll let you know how it goes in the ST102....as soon as this cloud vanishes! I had that one good session and then nothing since then. Only tried the UHC in the mak 127, which I wasn't impressed with, until I realised I was being an idiot and not considering exit pupil and the amount of light getting to my eye (thanks @Stu, if it hadn't been for you pointing that out, I'd have abandoned the filter by now).

Next clear night, I'm going to try the veil with my ST102, 25mm x-cel lx and UHC filter. We'll see how that goes! John and Stu both say a UHC filter is usable on a 4" frac, and I definitely respect and value their opinions, so I'll stick with it.

By the way - I picked up my UHC filter 2nd hand for £10. Figured I could sell it on if I don't get on with it. So it might be worth you looking out for a second hand one to try. 

As for the Aero 30mm - that is awesome news! Personally I think you've made a fantastic choice there, I was absolutely blown away with mine. I still can't believe how immersive and impressive it was to look through it. I could easily spend the whole night just scanning about with that eyepiece in. Please let me know how you feel once you get the chance to use it. 

Also, thanks - glad you liked the report. I quite enjoy writing them, I know I'm new and inexperienced compared to a lot on here, and may use incorrect terminology. But people always come in with kind words, helpful advice and pointers, which gives me the chance to read and learn more. I also like reading other people reports as it gives me ideas on things to target next :smile:

Archived