Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mk III - Question

AdeKing

I picked up a secondhand Mk III zoom earlier this year and it came without the 1.25" nosepiece adaptor.  The seller had stated that the part was missing, and as it had the 2" nosepiece it didn't bother me too much as I could still use it in my 2" focuser.

However, I'm now considering using it in Binoviewers and so need a 1.25" nosepiece for it again.

I have tried a 1.25" nosepiece from a Mk IV version, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Does anyone have any ideas on a potential solution? 

Ade

Did you try the 1.25" nosepiece with the connection ring? Here's the connection scheme for Mark IV zoom

Baader_zoom_markIV.jpg.0573f23ec8a8b3bb03b3bd6f83150a55.jpg

And for Mark III

Baader_zoom_MarkIII.thumb.jpg.b1249192906f92066d45c3d27d08dce0.jpg

The connection ring's M35 thread for Mark III is quite close to 13/8" thread in Mark IV.

35 minutes ago, YKSE said:

Did you try the 1.25" nosepiece with the connection ring? Here's the connection scheme for Mark IV zoom

Baader_zoom_markIV.jpg.0573f23ec8a8b3bb03b3bd6f83150a55.jpg

And for Mark III

Baader_zoom_MarkIII.thumb.jpg.b1249192906f92066d45c3d27d08dce0.jpg

The connection ring's M35 thread for Mark III is quite close to 13/8" thread in Mark IV.

Thanks for that @YKSE, I've just noticed something that I'd missed before.

The Mk IV Zoom does not need an adaptor to use the supplied 2" nosepiece, you can have both nosepieces attached at the same time, which is how I leave things attached normally as I alternate between 1.25" and 2" focusers.  

However, the Mk III has a different adaptor for the 1.25" and 2" nosepieces, so it looks like I'm missing both the M45 Zeiss/M35 Celestron adaptor ring AND the 1.25" nosepiece.  That also explains why there was nothing to thread the Mk IV 1.25" nosepiece into on the Mk III zoom.

I had looked at these images before but had missed this small difference between the two zooms.

I'll send an email off to Baader to obtain the two missing parts, thanks @spaceboy.

Archived