another widefield Cygnus

I've been trying to get my head around using PI with RAW images from my Canon 5d3, but the results have been very patchy, noisy and lacking any smooth detail in the dust.  So  here I've tried a different workflow as an experiment.

Firstly, convert the RAWs to 16 bit non linear Tiffs in Lightroom applying lens correction, then registration and integration in PI, then into Photoshop for final tweeking. No control frames were involved!

59c94da18255e_LR.thumb.jpg.26079f998cb2815759b0719749218206.jpg

It's still way off perfect, but far better than any version I've got out of PI on its own.

Huw

Got back to work on this image tonight, did a re-process with full control frames, but using the convoluted workflow I used above, it's better, but still no cigar.

On 25/09/2017 at 21:52, Davey-T said:

Nice pic Huw, I see you have the same problem as me with the Canon 24-105, you get funny shaped bright stars as top right in your image.

You can make a custom brush in P'Shop and go round and correct them.

Dave

Dave, looks like the strange stars are caused by coma in the blue channel, here's a stretched single sub:

cu.thumb.jpg.8d15ee0b0aa99df4dfe8adb1c435b22a.jpg

The problem can be hidden using 'replace colour' in Photoshop to drop saturation and brightness of the blue fringes.

I have processed another version of the image which is less noisy, but in doing so I have lost the smooth texture to the dust, somewhere between the two must be a sweet spot, I'll come back to this one more time

Huw

21 minutes ago, Horwig said:

Got back to work on this image tonight, did a re-process with full control frames, but using the convoluted workflow I used above, it's better, but still no cigar.

Dave, looks like the strange stars are caused by coma in the blue channel, here's a stretched single sub:

cu.thumb.jpg.8d15ee0b0aa99df4dfe8adb1c435b22a.jpg

The problem can be hidden using 'replace colour' in Photoshop to drop saturation and brightness of the blue fringes.

I have processed another version of the image which is less noisy, but in doing so I have lost the smooth texture to the dust, somewhere between the two must be a sweet spot, I'll come back to this one more time

Huw

I find it easier to go round and stamp them round following this tutorial

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuEX3KLrAUo

Archived