NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY10 OR QHY8L?

ebdons

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see you coming to terms with the camera, I have had my QHY 10 for about 6 months and it was only the other night after several attempts over that time that i finally think i have it sussed. I have found that were i needed 6 mins subs with my DLSR I need 8 to 10 mins to get an image that I recognise on the computer screen ( single sub ). Evan when there appears to be little data there a good stretch in processing does pull it out. The art appears  to be how best process the data and thats where im struggling at the moment. The camera does its job as there are lots of pics taken with it on the net that I would be proud to have done.

Hi ,thanks for the reply, it's a learning experience no doubt, and  I don't use photoshop just gimp to clean-up the image, even had horsehead and flame nebula imaged after 10 min exp but was too in the red shade, imaging with the F4 newt made things easier although my collimation maybe a touch off? and will try the UHC filter again with the F4 newt, although  guiding  was very jumpy, probably because PHD2 kept aborting before I could manually stop it, my stars look a bit oval, could be the altair coma corrector spacing needs fine tuning, set mine 73mm spacing, also could be the tracking out on the EQ6. hope to get some clear skies soon. all the best Tony

20 hours ago, ebdons said:

Its getting there but I would say that you really do need to sort out your color balance and draw down that green channel. Are you using RGB background calibration ? or per channel in DSS? Done worry so much about the stars, those are likely the CC, but one problem at a time. Get used to the camera then re-visit the spacing. 

• 2 months later...

Hi All, just started using my QHY10 again after using the 825 mono, as the weather was BA, took this  last night, strange defect near Pollux, looks like a planetary nebula, but nothing on database so must have been a moisture droplet or something, 10 min raw image to test my PHD2 system which has been going haywire lately. clear skies. Tony.  

SINGLE 10 MIN NEAR POLLUX AND STRANGE RING OR PLANETARY NEBULA (Medium).jpg

12 hours ago, ebdons said:

Hi All, just started using my QHY10 again after using the 825 mono, as the weather was BA, took this  last night, strange defect near Pollux, looks like a planetary nebula, but nothing on database so must have been a moisture droplet or something, 10 min raw image to test my PHD2 system which has been going haywire lately. clear skies. Tony.  

SINGLE 10 MIN NEAR POLLUX AND STRANGE RING OR PLANETARY NEBULA (Medium).jpg

Not 100% sure but i think you will find its an internal reflection caused by the star, I get a few odd ones when i catch a bright star just right. A bit of pain I know but thats par for the course.

Hi thanks for the reply, think the moon was  that side of the sky at the time as well,  I seem to get more moisture on the QHY10 sensor than the 825, larger area I suppose. all the best Tony

On 25/09/2017 at 00:36, ebdons said:

Hi Adam, did look at the 168c, but discounted that as it had  a CMOS sensor, unless the latest CMOS  is  superior, I did have poor images from a inova  years back so was put off them , but the 168c does produce some great images, would have been happy with the 8L  but  this 10 came up , I still have my 825 trius, which is just sitting around waiting for this weather to play ball!. all the best Tony

I have QHY168c and it is excellent camera. Yes it is CMOS, but latest chips and electronics dramatically improved over earlier versions. For the future CMOS will play a much greater, some observers say dominant, role.

Archived