Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Consolation Saturn

Littleguy80

I was all lined and excited for my first trip to a dark site tonight. The forecast had been looking good for most of the week. However, the forecast this morning told a different story and the satellite images by late afternoon confirmed it. My trip had to be postponed :( Looking out this evening, I could see Saturn low in the sky from my garden so decided to have a look. My Dad popped over and he got his first look at Saturn. He was really excited and full of enthusiasm. It was a lovely moment and helped lift my mood. I was also able to point out Titan which added to the excitement. After he left, I spent awhile going up and down the magnifications on Saturn. It was interesting to see the image sharpen up as the magnification dropped and then become hazy as I increased it again under the poor seeing. 

Went on to split Izar. Just about split at 180x through the haze. Went up to 300x, well beyond the practical upper limit of my scope but was just playing really. The tiny blue secondary was more apparent in a very wobbly view. Views of M13 and Epsilon Lyrae were grabbed between the clouds.

It wasn’t the night I’d hoped for but it’s hard not to enjoy looking at the ringed planet. It was, after all, the main reason I wanted a telescope in the first place!

5 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice one Neil!  Saturn is indeed something very special.  

I've forgotten why I got my first 'scope, but now there are thousands of good reasons!

Doug.

Thanks Doug. My first scope was picked based on about 20 mins research last December. My wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas and I didn’t have a lot of time to think about it. I have 4 kids o Christmas is a hectic time. The scope was described as being at the upper end of the beginner range and capable of showing Jupiter and it’s moons and, most importantly, Saturn and it’s rings. I had no idea the astrobug would grab me as much as it has. It’s been a great 2017 so far as a result :) 

8 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Doug. My first scope was picked based on about 20 mins research last December. My wife was asking what I wanted for Christmas and I didn’t have a lot of time to think about it. I have 4 kids o Christmas is a hectic time. The scope was described as being at the upper end of the beginner range and capable of showing Jupiter and it’s moons and, most importantly, Saturn and it’s rings. I had no idea the astrobug would grab me as much as it has. It’s been a great 2017 so far as a result :) 

Well Neil, that's 20 mins. more than I did!  Mrs. Sweeper and I went to big Curry's for a TV, and I saw a display of 'scopes, so bought a Newt on an Eq on a whim.  Keep it to yourself, but I - shall we say - didn't take to it at all.  Luckily, they let me exchange it (weeks later) for a frac, and then the bug bit!  An early target was Saturn, and I just stood there making cooing noises.  Then further 'scopes came along........

Doug.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Well Neil, that's 20 mins. more than I did!  Mrs. Sweeper and I went to big Curry's for a TV, and I saw a display of 'scopes, so bought a Newt on an Eq on a whim.  Keep it to yourself, but I - shall we say - didn't take to it at all.  Luckily, they let me exchange it (weeks later) for a frac, and then the bug bit!  An early target was Saturn, and I just stood there making cooing noises.  Then further 'scopes came along........

Doug.

Haha at least you got there in the end. Of course, I’ve spent countless hours since researching eyepieces, filters and just about anything else you could possibly buy for a scope ;) 

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

Haha at least you got there in the end. Of course, I’ve spent countless hours since researching eyepieces, filters and just about anything else you could possibly buy for a scope ;) 

........not to mention researching targets, of course!  All extremely enjoyable, and made all the more so by the help, encouragement, and just general sharing to be found on this great forum!

Doug.

19 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

........not to mention researching targets, of course!  All extremely enjoyable, and made all the more so by the help, encouragement, and just general sharing to be found on this great forum!

Doug.

Couldn’t agree more. The success of my journey into the world of astronomy has a great deal to do with everyone on here :)

11 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Doug.

Guys, the bold bit says it all for me, looked through a local astronomers scope at an outreach event and I was bitten hard, rested a while due to work and family in the late 2000's until 18 months ago.

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Guys, the bold bit says it all for me, looked through a local astronomers scope at an outreach event and I was bitten hard, rested a while due to work and family in the late 2000's until 18 months ago.

This seems to be a hobby that sticks with you. I’ve read numerous reports of people taking breaks for various reasons and then coming back to astronomy and loving it every bit as much. I do love the event astronomy. Things like a comet, close asteroid pass or a Nova. I’ve seen all 3 this year. Not managed a supernova yet. I think helps to keep it fresh. There’s an amazing thread running at the moment where some people are even seeing a Quasar! Incredible! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 11:41, Littleguy80 said:

This seems to be a hobby that sticks with you. I’ve read numerous reports of people taking breaks for various reasons and then coming back to astronomy and loving it every bit as much. I do love the event astronomy. Things like a comet, close asteroid pass or a Nova. I’ve seen all 3 this year. Not managed a supernova yet. I think helps to keep it fresh. There’s an amazing thread running at the moment where some people are even seeing a Quasar! Incredible! 

Hi Neil,

I'm new to both the forums and astronomy.  Reading the posts about seeing saturn and being bitten ring true here.  Anyway, I am also very interested in viewing some event astronomy.  Is there a string on this forum, or a webpage, or anywhere at all where I can look that gives updates on celestial events?  I'd LOVE to see a nova or supernova!  Or quasar!!  Wow!!

Thanks, Alex

Hi Alex. Welcome to the forum! There’s a section dedicated to special events here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/53-observing-widefield-special-events-and-comets/

There’s a recently discovered comet which is expected to brighten enough to be seen in binoculars by the middle of the month. Would be a good introduction to event astronomy :) There’s a thread on the comet here:

Ask as many questions as you need to. When I saw my first comet, I was talking to people through the forum while I had it in the eyepiece to confirm I definitely had it! 

Best of luck and clear skies :) 

Archived