Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A trawl through old favourites.

Astro Imp

I managed to get out last night which except for a quick lunar observing session earlier in the current lunation was the first time since mid-summer.

Although clear the transparency wasn't great.

Observed were:-

M13 and M92, both seemed a bit poor although was able to resolve the outer parts at x100.

M57 viewed at x100, really needed averted vision to get the most from this, perhaps I should have popped the OIII in.

M27, much the same as above but obviously far larger.

M56, just a diffused smudge really.

M11, one of the highlights of the night although I should have viewed this earlier when it was higher, still a lovely view.

M29, the cooling tower set in a rich star field.

The eastern veil, I knew from what I had already observed this was going to be tricky but nevertheless had a go. First looked at x37 and saw nothing then inserted the OIII filter and by really concentrating and using averted vision managed to see that there was something there but couldn't tease out any detail. 

The western veil, after the above it came as no surprise this drew a blank.

Albireo, always a glorious sight set in a lovely star field.

M15, and M2, not giving of their best.

M31, had to give this a look but not sure it was worth the time and effort.

NGC 7662, the blue snowball, a tiny but quite bright planetary nebula which tonight needed averted vision to really make out.

The double cluster, never fails to please.

M103, M52 and M34 completed the evening.

Although not the best of nights it was enjoyable to get out under the stars again and looking forward to the next clear night.

Nice report, Alan. Lots of good targets in there. It’s interesting because I was out last night and noticed that the views weren’t as good as normal and struggled to find some targets. I think your report has actually clarified in my mind the use of the term transparency in Astronomy. It should perhaps have been obvious but I always got confused with that and ‘seeing’ when describing conditions. 

Yeah... it was a bit strange last night.  I bolted my pier to the patio and was checking polar alignment and noticed on the first few exposures how 'bright' the sky was.... maybe because it was earlier than I normally have been out ( 21:30  as opposed to 23:30 ).  There was no Moon and it doesn't look like any new floodlights have been installed next door !!!....  it didn't seem to improve towards Mid-night either..... strange ?

Archived