Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help needed with W10 Remote Desktop

Skipper Billy

Hi again ....

Just to say that I took the plunge and have now got Radmin installed on both of my "House" and "Observatory" computers .... it works great :-)))

I can now operate my mount and scope in the warmth of my house if needed.

Again sorry ... for butting into your on-going thread .... hope you didn't think I was being rude ... I just needed the nudge to get me going with this. Spotting the reference to Radmin early in this discussion grabbed my attention!

Regards Mike

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/09/2017 at 10:23, Skipper Billy said:

Having slept on it I realise that I WILL need wifi at the obsy for updates and downloading software etc etc

So I get a 'switch' then connect both indoor and outdoor pc's to it with CAT6 ethernet cables. A third CAT6 ethernet cable connects the switch to the BT hub/router.

Does that allow the two pc's to talk to each other and both have internet access ??

If that makes sense then once its working I will look at the TP plug in adapters to use the house wiring to save a few cables.

As you already have the startech system, if you have mains power at your pier, then just get two home network plugs, one at the pier plugged into mains socket and the startech four port hub with a short cat6 cable, and the other at your house in plaid socket with another short cat6 cable to your host startech hub and the USB to your PC

then you will be controlling all your kit with just the mains can,e that runs to your pier.... simples.... :)

11 hours ago, SlimPaling said:

Just to say that I took the plunge and have now got Radmin installed on both of my "House" and "Observatory" computers .... it works great :-)))

Hi Mike,

Glad you got it all going.  Sorry not to have replied to your query earlier than this, I was out at a customers site all day yesterday and didn't get home until late so never went online to SGL until now.

Rgds.

Chris.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:53, LightBucket said:

As you already have the startech system, if you have mains power at your pier, then just get two home network plugs, one at the pier plugged into mains socket and the startech four port hub with a short cat6 cable, and the other at your house in plaid socket with another short cat6 cable to your host startech hub and the USB to your PC

The driver of this exercise is to get rid of the USB hub - with the above I would still need the USB hub ???

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The driver of this exercise is to get rid of the USB hub - with the above I would still need the USB hub ???

Ok, sorry 

but you will still have the USB hub, albeit as part of a PC and they are no where near as efficient as a seperate powered one, trust me on that.... :)

I just wanted to close this thread with an enormous THANK YOU to everyone that replied and took time out and went to great lengths to help me get to grips with setting up RDP and networking in simple language that even I can understand !

I have learned more about networks in the last few days than in the previous 20 years and I am extremely grateful.

Archived