Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob OTA counterweights

I need one or two counterweights to balance my dob's OTA altitude movement. When I've got a big train of eyepiece, powermate and paracorr in the focuser, the altitude movement is out of balance and the tube slowly tips downwards below 40-45 degrees. Tightening the altitude tension to compensate kinda defeats the objective of smooth altitude movement.

A couple of easily removable and positionable magnetic weights attached to the top of the tube at the mirror end would be ideal. I read somewhere one solution is speaker magnets wrapped in felt (to prevent scratching) but where the hell do I get speaker magnets from?

Just wondering what solutions people are using with their dobs. Material sources would be helpful too.

Is there anywhere one could get dud speakers? They would cost next to nothing...

This is one idea here - stick them to something nice and heavy (up to 0.9kg) and you have up to 4.5kg counterweights, as you need them!

Then there's superglue and ordinary magnets...

Andrew

This was my solution.

Milk carton + 2kg sand + magnets + sellotape =

8813_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Add one 16" dob and some felt to avoid scratching the lovely paintwork, and you get:

8814_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Price: £3.49 + pennies

Result: one adjustable dobsonian counterweight

I don't recommend using felt, though. It makes it slide down the tube (but still works perfectly up to an altitude of about 50°). Use something with a bit more friction, but still very strong, so that the magnets don't scratch the OTA. The magnets are VERY strong. Gaffer tape would do the trick.

Andrew

That's brilliant :smiley:

I was looking around the house today for something suitably compact and heavy to temporarily strap to the tube. I've worked out I need around 4lbs of counterweighting.

I've got loads of empty milk bottles ready for recycling but it never crossed my mind that one would come in handy as a weight. Good thinking Andrew :salute:

I don't use evil-bay so I might get some of those self-adhesive magnets you linked above.

Archived