Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short and Sharp

wookie1965

Decided get the Tal out tonight check my BST 5mm as I have had problems with it.

M15 in Pegasus was my first port of call used my 25mm locate it then cranked up the mag finished with a Meade 9.7mm looked like a cloud though.

M2 next in Aquarius could not make out individual stars just looked like a fluffy. At this point checked the dew strips were working.

NGC 6781 although I have seen this in my 8" could not see it tonight although there was a bright moon out.

Garnet star in Cepheus beautiful deep orange colour to me.

Σ2816 triple in IC 1396 SAO 033626 easily split this with my 15mm.

Double cluster NGC 869/884 25mm both looked brilliant stars popping out the more you looked.

A good test for the scope the Double Double in Lyra SAO 067310 this was hard put the 5mm in and only just had enough inward travel got my eye in the right place and split it, tried my Meade 6.4mm and I could split it with this.

The other Double Double in Lyra SAO 0678 70 easily split with my 15mm.

Sticking to doubles went to Cassiopeia 

Iota triple SAO 012298 this is an easy triple 

Psi SAO 011751 This was really tight the two companions are very close and very small.

Sigma SAO 035947 could not split this knew there was a second star as I defocused a tiny bit but no joy.

ETA SAO 021732 Lovely pair yellow and red/purple

Almach Gamma Andromedae I know this to be a triple but could only see the double. Stars did not look right it was like they had diffraction spikes which was impossible with a frac.

Miram Eta Persei another great colourful pair orange and blue same again with this stars did not look right, checked the front lens and found out why Dew. Went to get a hairdryer tripped over tripod leg nothing broken but moved the mount could not be bothered polar aligning and doing star alignment again so packed up. This list is all down to Nick (Cotterless45) I copied his report he did with his  6" and used it to compare the Tal all in all not a bad night. Thank you Nick.

Another nice report Paul.

That light pollution certainly makes a big difference to seeing anything. 

I looked at M15 myself on wednesday night. The sky was washed out by the moon and so the contrast wasn't there to give it the usual wow factor.

M13 would've been good to try as it's not far off the double double and high in the sky too. Hopefully it would look more than a cloud. 

Archived