Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Star did not move enough" after moving to OAG

kirkster501

Hi Steve

That looks to me like the prism.  If you rotate your camera 90 degrees relative to the filter wheel/OAG, that prism shadow will be on the 'long' side of the frame.  You may find that it won't then intrude into the frame at all.  (I did spend some time setting the OAG up, but I had it on the 'long' side - as recommended by Olly et al.)  Of course if you want to keep the framing as you have it, then you will then rotate camera/wheel/OAG as one complete unit back to your framing.  I'd certainly try that before mucking around with the prism height.

Your stars do look very good.  I wouldn't worry about that small spike.  I have seen that in may set ups.  Think of it as a 'feature'.  

Actually, scrub that.  These are awful.  Why not let me take that TEC off your hands at a massive discount!!!  :evil4:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually not possible to permanently change the orientation of the prism with respect to the camera 90 degrees because the camera is screwed tight against the EFW2.  To turn the camera means loosening it to do it a quarter turn and that would be insecure (as well as not orthogonal any more).  The camera/EFW2/OAG is one solid unit.

17 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

It's actually not possible to permanently change the orientation of the prism with respect to the camera 90 degrees because the camera is screwed tight against the EFW2.  To turn the camera means loosening it to do it a quarter turn and that would be insecure (as well as not orthogonal any more).  The camera/EFW2/OAG is one solid unit.

Are you sure, Steve?  On the top of the EFW2 are some tiny lock-screws.  The EFW is supplied with the correct size hex-wrench for getting down to those screws.  If you slacken them just enough you can rotate the camera independently of the EFW (and hence the OAG).  Turn it to around 90 degrees of where you have it now and tighten them back up again.  And then, as I say, you can rotate the whole CCD/EFW/OAG unit to taste.  These little screws are one of the great features of the EFW, in my view, since they make getting things orthogonal relatively easy.  This image, showing the screws, is in the EFW manual:

lockscrew.jpg.48f1fcf596730b3e1773095742d976a8.jpg

Interesting to read the transition to OAG..

As a thought on phd what's the focal length of the(OAG) guidescope..is it the whole fl of the scope plus the light cone as in my head it's in the same imaging train,or is it measured from say the the end of the scope to the guide cam.. confused!! Dont take much!

1 minute ago, newbie alert said:

Interesting to read the transition to OAG..

As a thought on phd what's the focal length of the(OAG) guidescope..is it the whole fl of the scope plus the light cone as in my head it's in the same imaging train,or is it measured from say the the end of the scope to the guide cam.. confused!! Dont take much!

If using an OAG then the f/l is your telescope f/l.  

Steve's right about the Atik FW allowing independent rotation of the camera. This is a brilliant feature since it allows any orientation of the wheel itself (think avoiding pier collisions after the flip...) and, at the same time, any orintation of the camera.

Olly

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Steve's right about the Atik FW allowing independent rotation of the camera. This is a brilliant feature since it allows any orientation of the wheel itself (think avoiding pier collisions after the flip...) and, at the same time, any orintation of the camera.

Olly

Having complete freedom to choose one's orientation - how modern is that?

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Too modern for me...

No platesolving, no autofocus, no auto meridian flips.....  I think if it were wholly up to you we would be 'painting' our astro-pics onto clay tablets with a stick!!!  :icon_salut:

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

No platesolving, no autofocus, no auto meridian flips.....  I think if it were wholly up to you we would be 'painting' our astro-pics onto clay tablets with a stick!!!  :icon_salut:

A stick. Dang, that's a good idea. I might try it...

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

The large size of the wheel means it is ALWAYS the thing that will collide into the peer first.  Need to look into it!

Archived