Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will I get electrocuted?

I just bought a 13.2V 5amp power supply (mains converter) to power my HEQ5 Pro. I just want to know if I should ground the scope in a way while using the power suply? It might be my imagination playing tricks on me but I think I got "zapped" once or twice putting my chin to the scope while using the finder...

Make sure the supply to the voltage converter, is through a RCD unit. It is possible under certain conditions, to get a tingle off a low DC voltage, but harmless. The unit you buy should be be a recommended manufacturer. The unit if placed outdoors, needs to be totally protected from the elements. If you have any doubts, don't use it.

Ron.

I have the unit stored indoors in a shed and a 5 meter wire carrying the DC 13.2V to my mount. My house is pretty new and all current is run through a RCD unit in my switchboard (I think...)

Guess I'll be safe then?! -)

Not necessarily. The switch board shold have trip switches for each electric circuit that runs around your house. These aren't RCD units. You need an RCD if you're running stuff outdoors.

Tony..

Provided the power supply is kept indoors, then all you have outside is 12vdc - which is quite safe, the only rider I will add is that the power supply should contain a transformer (unit is heavy) as opposed to the increasingly impinging "switch mode power supply" which works in a different fashion, and CAN deliver mains voltage. (unit will be quite light... as in cell phone chargers etc)

Hmm, I think I would be inclined to get your mount tested by an electrician, there's no way it should be leaking to earth via YOU!

Also, I may be wrong, but as the current leakage appears to be on the DC end of the circuit, I'm not sure that an RCD would pick that up. Somebody will know.

While the low voltages etc are probably harmless, I know when I have been working on sites with portable power tools, the H&S breifings for electrical safety always mentions that even low voltages and amps can stop your heart.

There are a few electrical engineers on this forum, somebody will know, but you could perhaps do with a friend with a multimeter or a PAT test machine. Don't take risks, even if you dont get hurt, your mount could get screwed for the sake of a loose wire!

Cheers

TJ

I have the unit stored indoors in a shed and a 5 meter wire carrying the DC 13.2V to my mount. My house is pretty new and all current is run through a RCD unit in my switchboard (I think...)

If it is a recently new distribution board then you will find that it should be a split load box. You will have small breakers as noted by Whippy, but you should also have most of the circuits running through an RCD. Usually it will be every circuit apart from the lights, although it can vary slightly as to what other circuits are RCD protected.

As always if you are in doubt get a qualified electrician to look at your wiring or equipment. Just to add, and no offence to anyone, that means in person not by means of phone calls or photos in a forum. As little as 30mA can kill you, never take the chance.

If it is a recently new distribution board then you will find that it should be a split load box. You will have small breakers as noted by Whippy, but you should also have most of the circuits running through an RCD. Usually it will be every circuit apart from the lights, although it can vary slightly as to what other circuits are RCD protected.

As always if you are in doubt get a qualified electrician to look at your wiring or equipment. Just to add, and no offence to anyone, that means in person not by means of phone calls or photos in a forum. As little as 30mA can kill you, never take the chance.

Of course you are correct RL. The device should be checked in situ. and not by proxy.

Ron. :D

I just bought a 13.2V 5amp power supply (mains converter) to power my HEQ5 Pro. I just want to know if I should ground the scope in a way while using the power suply? It might be my imagination playing tricks on me but I think I got "zapped" once or twice putting my chin to the scope while using the finder...

Of course don't forget about static electricity...Getting zapped doesn't sound too much like a 13v supply but more like a electrostatic discharge. It could be either the Scope/mount or YOU that has accumulated charge. In other words it may just be the scope thats acting as earth to the electroststic charge built up on your clothes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived