Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak Newt image orientation

Just like normal Newtonian, the image is inverted and the other way round. The meniscus lens at the front flattens the image and minimises coma but does not change the image orientation.

These telescopes give superb views both for visual use and for astro-imaging. It is widely said to be on a par with a very large high quality triplet APO refractor and at a fraction of the cost. I have been using my Skywatcher 190 mm Mak Newt for DSO imaging for many years and have no plans t get rid of it. An excellent all round telescope/astrograph.

I suspect that you will also find that the angle that the eyepiece is at also alters the image orientation.

I would expect that if the eyepiece is horizontal then the image is Up/Down inverted but Left/Right correct, if you had the eyepiece vertical then Up/Down correct and Left/Right inverted. So the angle you are peering into the scope via the eyepiece is a factor.

Easiest aspect is to accept that whatever factors are involved the result it is not going to be "normal".

Thanks Reddoss & Ronin for the excellent responses. I had been hoping I'd found the elusive scope that would fit my needs _ ie a short tube 6" scope  giving wide field, ed refractor like views for both sky & terrestrial targets

Again thanks Joe

I had an Intes (Russian) 6" F/5.9 maksutov-Newtonian for a while and it was very much like an ED refractor in terms of performance. Hardly eny difference between it and my ED120 refractor except that the refractor was a bit lighter and cooled down quicker.

The mak-newt is an excellent design for astronomy I feel :icon_biggrin:

Not so good for terrestrial though I'm afraid. Maksutov-cassegrains are much better for this.

John

I know you're spot on with your assessment. I had a C6 but it had too narrow a view for my needs.  I am basically taking the"scenic route" to getting something like your ed120 _ ie better exit pupil at x180 than with my present 80mm scopes. The cost wouldn't be much different but the mount is  a deciding factor.  Do you think an ED120 would work on a non motorised cg4, eq3-2 or equivalent.  I'd prefer not to go bigger & thanks in advance

Joe

Archived