Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M 8 ZWO ASI 071

Benklerk

Messier 8

The Lagoon Nebula  is a giant interstellar cloud in the constellation Sagittarius. It is classified as an emission nebula and as an H II region.
The Lagoon Nebula is one of only two star-forming nebulae faintly visible to the eye from mid-northern latitudes. Seen with binoculars, it appears as a distinct oval cloud like patch with a definite core. In the foreground is the open cluster NGC 6530.
The Lagoon Nebula is estimated to be between 4,000-6,000 light-years from the Earth. In the sky of Earth, it spans 90' by 40', which translates to an actual dimension of 110 by 50 light years. Like many nebula's, it appears pink in time-exposure color photos but is gray to the eye peering through binoculars or a telescope, human vision having poor color sensitivity at low light levels. 
The nebula contains a number of Bok globules (dark, collapsing clouds of protostellar material).

GSO 6" RC
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO ASI 071 OSC
4min x 15 1 hr

M 8 Final.jpg

Wow, that is impressive.. One hour! Been thinking of trying one of the new mono cmos camera's (ASI1600mm) on my RC8 but the pixels are a wee bit small.. This OSC one has bigger pixels & obviously works for you.. opens up the whole OSC v mono debate in my head all over again, apart from the obvious NB limitations. Mind you, your skies are way better than mine I know.. having been out to the Blue Mountains a few times over the years. One hour ay.. thats about the most imaging time I've had since April ;).. nice one.. well done

On 14/08/2017 at 00:49, Benklerk said:

I do have good clear skies I got down to 2.1 FWHM while imaging the lagoon. I find the OSC camera a good next one up from the DSLR before you go to mono. 

On 14/08/2017 at 00:41, Sp@ce_d said:

Wow, that is impressive.. One hour! Been thinking of trying one of the new mono cmos camera's (ASI1600mm) on my RC8 but the pixels are a wee bit small.. This OSC one has bigger pixels & obviously works for you.. opens up the whole OSC v mono debate in my head all over again, apart from the obvious NB limitations. Mind you, your skies are way better than mine I know.. having been out to the Blue Mountains a few times over the years. One hour ay.. thats about the most imaging time I've had since April ;).. nice one.. well done

1) Its very worth while trying OIII and H-a with this camera, I have seen others do it to great effect. I have got experiance with both OIII and h-a on my cooled 550D and it works great.

2) That is a very good image mono or OSC aside. I am loving what you are doing with this camera.

Are you using a focal reducer?? What is your light pollution like?

Archived