Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod adapter for AZ GTI to Meade field tripod

JonC

Sooo, like some others I picked up a  SW AZI GTI wifi, and like others have found that the tripod has a bit more flex than I am happy with. I had thought that one of my camera tripods would be suitable, but  when extended to a usable height they bounce around more than the SW one.  While looking for something else on ebay I stumbled across a Meade field tripod designed for Light Switch telescopes, sold by telescope house for £50. Looks sturdy enough and with a bit of fiddling should be usable with my old ETX105 and the AZ GTI :)

https://www.telescopehouse.com/meade-field-tripod-for-light-switch-telescopes.html

First appearance and it looks ok, not as heavy as it looks online, but seems stable when extended, top plate and spreader are plastic so care needs to be taken.

y2DUGaR.jpg

I have replaced the screws on the top with some metric thumbscrews to act as stand offs, need to get some longer screws to bolt up from underneath and through and adapter plate.

lliEdG6.jpg

The adapter plate is made from some skip scavenged ali plate from work, hole in the middle will house the 3/8th tripod screw (need to get one from ebay).

ivuuIzo.jpg

SW tripod pillar thing will bolt on top

deOB0JS.jpg

My rather nifty purple workbench, pillar drill was £65 on ebay, very glad I purchased a nice solid vice. Once I get the tripod bolt will put it all together and report back.

Bit of fiddling today and a trip to screwfix for some longer M6 bolts, but its up and working. Very stable, still a bit of fiddling to do. Probably going to add a pin between the two pillars, possibly drill indents for the screws stop the top plate turning.

P7DcTjI.jpg

Archived