12 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Owned a Newtonian, was not all that impressed. 150mm diameter F8, very susceptible to seeing conditions. I will take a doublet refractor over one every time.

Did you keep it inside or in a shed/garage? I suspect this was tube currents rather than seeing? My 6" f/8 isn't great for about 30 minutes if taken outside from a warm room, but kept in a shed at ambient temps the views are immediately very pleasing. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it was seeing, I was well aware of tube currents, and cool down time required to get the best views. Most of the time I let the Newtonian cool down for at least 40 minutes to an hour. 

2 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

No it was seeing, I was well aware of tube currents, and cool down time required to get the best views. Most of the time I let the Newtonian cool down for at least 40 minutes to an hour. 

I'd say check collimation but it's hard to go too far wrong at f/8. I guess Newt's just aren't for everyone which is fair enough :) 

2 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Dave, i am going to throw you a curved ball, just to give you another train of thought.............have you considered a Maksutov telescope, very long focal length, ED views but a narrow field, i know i am biased as i really like maks but they are very good with the huge advantage of being very easy to mount, they dont have the classic look of a long white frac, but end of the day a scope is to look through not at, the skywatcher skymax range are extremely good, and there is the OO OMC140 to consider in metal or Carbon fibre, the only downside to a Maksutov is the cool down, plus you need a dew shield with them, people say they are one trick scopes being planetary/Luna but they are also very capable on other objects and excel at double stars plus globs

Thanks Nightfisher. I have considered one yes, I must admit I am slightly draw to them, out of curiosity. I like the look of Skywatcher Skymax 180 PRO . I have now bought another telescope. A Skylight 60mm F16.7. Which I don't plan on selling. This is kind of an interim telescope until I decide if I want a 4" long focal length refractor or medium length ED refractor.

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave1 said:

Thanks Nightfisher. I have considered one yes, I must admit I am slightly draw to them, out of curiosity. I like the look of Skywatcher Skymax 180 PRO . I have now bought another telescope. A Skylight 60mm F16.7. Which I don't plan on selling. This is kind of an interim telescope until I decide if I want a 4" long focal length refractor or medium length ED refractor.

Dave

While the Skylight looks lovely Dave surely the 80mm F/15 Towa would be a better guide to whether or not you might want to move to a larger aperture long achromat :icon_scratch:

The Carton objectives are nice but they won't break the laws of physics.

2 minutes ago, John said:

While the Skylight looks lovely Dave surely the 80mm F/15 Towa would be a better guide to whether or not you might want to move to a larger aperture long achromat :icon_scratch:

The Carton objectives are nice but they won't break the laws of physics.

I know John, I mean to use both the Towa and the Skylight to guide me decision, until I make my mind up. Mind you I've been offered a Fullerscope 4" F15...In good condition. A 70's era. Tempting!

4 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

I know John, I mean to use both the Towa and the Skylight to guide me decision, until I make my mind up. Mind you I've been offered a Fullerscope 4" F15...In good condition. A 70's era. Tempting!

I remember the Fullerscopes - I used to visit BC&F Telescope House  when it was in London and chat to Dud Fuller. Interesting character !

Interesting Cloudynights thread on Fullerscopes etc here, worth a read:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/173290-4-fullerscopes-refractor/

Dud Fuller ended up making me an equatorial mount. It took about 4 months !.

Thanks, yes the 70's era Fullerscopes were suppose to be the better scopes. Because Ernie Elliot retired in 1980. I have managed to find out some info on the 4 " F15 deluxe refractor, it is suppose to be a good telescope by all accounts, and had I think Wigley lenses? Or some lenses back in that time period with a well known name beginning with W.

Dave

Archived