SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Davis' Dog, binocular asterism in Taurus

@Nyctimene ( dont know how to Quote across topics) has reminded me about the name of a winter asterisim in Taurus that we chased up in January (?I think it was) called Davis' Dog

So an early warning for Bino Bods, and a request to review my representation of it in Stellarium (putting it there so that I dont lose my dog again :) ) :-

DavisDog1.jpg.f22f47f122577f53ea607399310f68d5.jpg

The more experienced observational astronomers amongst us may notice that the Dachshund has three rear legs ! Because I cant decide which looks best ! :-

DavisDog2.jpg.874f2d3f449c18bf15fa4c40572aec2e.jpg

What do y'all think ? The rear one to the brighter star, or the other pair ?

Silver Astro,

I just did the reality check with the 7x50 bins - definitely the two rear ones (as can be suspected already from Stellarium); they stand out clearly more prominent. Nice to revisit the dog, located so conveniently between Pleiades and Hyades. Had also a look at the Auriga clusters, the Flying Minnow and the Cheshire Cat.

Eddie's Coaster was again outlined clearly with 7x50, and with the 14x100 (3,1 kg handheld - ouch!) some of the accompanying clusters could be spotted in the cloud gaps. Must use the tripod tomorrow; more clouds at the moment.

Stephan

• 4 weeks later...

Silver Astro,

I'm excited you've added movement and life to Davis' s Dog in your avatar picture; so the dog's shape is pointed out even more clearly to novices.

As I've mentioned in another post, I've gotten used to observe this nice asterism during each observing session - and I'm wondering, how it could be overlooked for more than hundred years of observing with binoculars! Of all the celestial canines, it's shape resembles most that of a real dog (followed by Canis maior); and, at the moment, it's a pleasure for me to see this dog running to the west in the morning sky , accompanying Taurus, announcing winter's delights.

So, keep on (as I will do)  spreading the fame of this worthy dog to all stargazers; and enjoy it´ s stars in many clear nights!

Stephan

8 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

and I'm wondering, how it could be overlooked for more than hundred years of observing with binoculars! Of all the celestial canines, it's shape resembles most that of a real dog

Glad that you like my new avatar, thanks, I was a bit worried that the ancient gods might not look kindly on me for moving stars about, but I think perhaps the opposite, see below about M31.

As Florence sank slowly in the West behind some trees I wondered what to do next ! You gave me a timely reminder that our dog should be rising in the East :) ,,  so a short walk to avoid some other trees and there it was :) and a bonus :- my first naked-eye view of Andromeda Galaxy of this season, the sky having become remarkably clear !

Yes, as you say, how could that dog not be much more loved/known, it really is a nice bright little asterism of a comfortable size in 10x50, (and aligned the right way up at this time !) whereas The Hyades tends to be a bit cramped, I suppose it has the mis-fortune to be overshadowed by them so close by, the sparkling irresistible Pleiades not far away and so many other interesting things in that area. Of course I had to have a tour them all while there !

It will soon be Algol watching season again as well :) (oh! there used to be a neat little Algol predictor on S&T site but seems we now need to register to get to it ?)

Edit later : Algol in September -  https://freestarcharts.com/algol-eclipse-dates-times-september-2017

10 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

movement and life to Davis' s Dog in your avatar picture; so the dog's shape is pointed out even more clearly to novices.

And perhaps not only novices :) , I've been thinking that a hint as to what and where it is may not go amiss, leaving dear reader to hunt for it in the region !  Not entirely happy about the font and colour yet, so perhaps more thinking may be required.

Archived