NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ-EQ6 update

kerrylewis

I've just spent a few frustrating hours trying to update the Synscan firmware for my AZ-EQ6. I finally succeeded!

I note that there is also an update for the mount itself. Before spending another few hours can anyone confirm what the benefits are and is it worth it? ?

Just curious - what version did you upgrade from/to? Mine is currently at 3.33, but their website shows version 3.3 from 2014. Perhaps I'm just getting confused :confused2:

I didn't realise there was another part to update... is that what they call the motor controller firmware? I don't see update instructions for that.

Cheers, Tony

17 hours ago, Jonk said:

It's the hand controller firmware that's updated, not the motors.

That was my thought too, but looking at the firmware website there was definitely a 'motor controller firmware' update available - but without instructions. It's the first I've seen of such a thing. Not sure if that's what the OP was referring to, though.

On 12/08/2017 at 15:56, Ant-33 said:

That was my thought too, but looking at the firmware website there was definitely a 'motor controller firmware' update available - but without instructions. It's the first I've seen of such a thing. Not sure if that's what the OP was referring to, though.

Hello Ant and Jonk - apologies but I've only just seen these replies.

I should have made it clear in my OP that these are not new updates. I have not been able to install them before now because of a lack of a working Windows computer - they don't work with Mac.

There are definitely updates for both the handset and for the motor controllers. The instructions for the latter are difficult to find but are included with the MC Firmware loader download.

I did manage to upgrade both in the end. Some of the difficulties that I encountered were due to using the wrong connecting lead. I wrongly assumed that all RS232 to RJ9 cables were wired the same, but they are not. I had also been updating my Ioptron mount and tried to use that lead! Once I switched to the Skywatcher version things went better! 

I haven't tried the Skywatcher mount since but fingers are crossed that it will perform correctly 

Hope that helps 

Kerry 

Thanks for the clarification, Kerry :icon_biggrin: I'm glad to hear the updates went well in the end. It's always a fear of mine that I'll end up with a failed, half-installed update that I can't recover from - but that's probably just me being paranoid.

Clear skies,

Tony

9 minutes ago, Ant-33 said:

Thanks for the clarification, Kerry :icon_biggrin: I'm glad to hear the updates went well in the end. It's always a fear of mine that I'll end up with a failed, half-installed update that I can't recover from - but that's probably just me being paranoid.

Clear skies,

Tony

That's my fear too! I find the whole process nerve-wracking and don't want to end up with a crocked mount! That is why I originally asked was it worth it. 

I've never actually done any firmware update on my mount/handset. I'm wondering, if things are working normally is the risk worth taking in any firmware update? I guess that is really the same as is being asked here. I can understand the need to update say a computer to patch vulnerabilities against malware etc but what would a firmware update to my mount or handset deliver, is it something I really need to do or can I ignore it?  Sorry, hope I'm not hijacking the thread, if so just ignore.

Jim 

Archived