NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

30-07-2017 Observing report

Chefgage

Went out just for 5 minutes last night to test the newly purchased olympus dps1 10x50's as recomended by a few on here. First impressions are that i am very happy with my purchase. I was able to see M31 the andromeda galaxy as a small smudge but clearly visible my light polluted skies. I used the constallation of cassiopeia to point me towards andromeda.

I need to get my copy of turn left at orion out to see what other objects are available to see through the binoculars. These will be handy for if i just want to pop outside just for a few minutes rather that setting the scope up.

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you download the August Northern Hemisphere .pdf it gives a selection of naked eye and binocular objects.

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

The Binocular Sky newsletter is also very handy

http://www.binocularsky.com/newsletter/BinoSkyNL.pdf

Thanks for that. I will get them printed off for next week when i am away camping. There should be alot darker skies than i am used to so ideal for binoculars

Hope that the clouds stay away for your trip. The moon might get in the way a bit, but you will be amazed at what you can see. I'm currently at a rural campsite in Normandy and gave my 10x50 Pentax bins a workout when the clouds parted for an hour. The usual suspects were looking good. Andromeda was massive. M81/82 galaxies clear in direct vision. Dumbbell nebula glowing brightly. Hercules Cluster, M93, the Double Cluster, Etc etc.

But it was the larger objects without clearly defined edges that were the highlights. The North America nebula and Caroline's Rose were lovely surprises.

Good luck.

Paul

6 hours ago, Chefgage said:

I need to get my copy of turn left at orion out to see what other objects are available to see through the binoculars. These will be handy for if i just want to pop outside just for a few minutes rather that setting the scope up.

In the kitchen, a drawer near the kitchen door always houses: a vintage Japanese 7x50 binocular ("Pallas" brand, 7.1° FOV) together with the Pocket Sky Atlas (including a cutout template for the 7,1° FOV), a red light torch, and a neckstrap for the glasses. So, when I wake up after midnight, fully dark adapted, I can make use even of a few minutes observing time or tiny cloud gaps. Sometimes, I'm checking/improving star hop routines; sometimes I like rushing through the constellations to spot as many well known DSO's as I can...., always much fun and satisfying!

Stephan

Archived