NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6995 - well, part of it at least

wimvb

Sometimes bigger isn't better. As when you want to image the veil complex, you shouldn't use a 20 m (FL) telescope. But it does get you a detailed view (including at least two galaxies).

Here's what the Liverpool Telescope came up with.

I leave it up to you to figure out which section of the veil was targeted, and find the galaxies.

Btw, all of the filters showed a weak pattern that is hard to get rid of. It shows in the full scale image. I don't think this image is worth any further processing.

Blue: 6 x Bessell_B

Green: 5 x Bessell_V

Red: 4 x SDSS-R

Ha: 6 x 5 nm

(click on the image for the full size version)

ngc6995.thumb.jpg.cc438685cbff9a1c9e5290a76ff6bc0c.jpg

5 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Surprising that you can see a couple galaxies in there, think I've spotted one. Is it on the 'inside' of the Veil? In a couple of my widefields I can see the dust the Broom is sweeping before it.

Well spotted (I've now identified three possible galaxies, without plate solving). This target just isn't for long FL scopes, unless blessed with endless dark skies, a lot of patience, and nothing else to do. In which case one can always try a mosaic. My guess is that the veil complex would need about 60+ panels to do it justice at this focal length. I doubt the LT folks would take in a request for that.

Archived