NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Veil Views

A McEwan

Hi all.

I'm just in from an excellent 2-hour session under excellent seeing, about 9pm to 11pm.

It was getting a bt dew-ey when we packed up.

I was using my ED80 on AZ-3 (modified) mount, and using my Pentax XL's and the new XW30 eyepiece.

Viewed the usual targets for a late summer night (M27, M57, M71, M13, M15, M31, M32, M110, M56, Double Cluster, Muscleman, Jupiter etc) but I thought I'd have a go for the Veil nebula with the 30mm XW. This gives 20x and a 3.5 degree field in the ED80.

After lining up with the red dot, I spent some time at the eyepiece, and gradually became aware of a sweep of faint nebulosity running up/down across about 2 degrees through the view. I couldn't move the scope around much to sweep for the other sections, as movement was limited by the tripod legs, but next time I'll make sure I can find the whole ensemble.

As it's a while since I've observed it, I wasn't sure as to which ection of the nebula I was seeing, but I was really excited that I could see it at such a low magnification in an 80mm scope!

Oh, this was without any filter installed.

Chuffed! :clouds2:

Congrats on seeing the Veil :)

I saw the Veil for the first time at last weekend's Salisbury SP with my 12" dob, XW30 and Astronomik UHC filter and it was spectacular. I couldn't see it without the filter though.

I was out tonight in my backyard looking for it again with the same setup and gave up. I couldn't see diddly squat. Damn light pollution :clouds2:

Thanks. I've seen if before in several scopes, though it has been a while, so at least I know how 'nebulous' (pun intended) an object it is and what to look for. I'm always pleased to find it though, no matter the equipment used!

The sky was good - even Jupiter was steady! :clouds2:

Wonderful, I have only seen it from northern Spain in the foothills of the Pyrenees (through a pair of Canon 15x50 image stabilised binos) and have yet to see it from suburbia in England. Definitely helps if you have clear skies and no clouds!

Mark

Congrats on finding the Veil with an 80mm Ant :D

I managed it with an ST80 on one wonderfull night last year - needed an UHC-S filter in to see it though.

I find the eastern section the easiest (or least difficult !) to pick out - I think thats the bit thats known as the "Bridal Veil".

John

Archived