Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1795 - part of a fish head

wimvb

IC 1795 is a nebula located close to the Heart nebula (ic 1805). This image is only a small crop just 'north' of the main part of the nebula. It shows a few nice HH protrusions.

The data is from the Liverpool telescope on La Palma.

There's a lot of data for this nebula, but somehow I can't quite get my head around it (sorry for the poor joke). Maybe HaRGB is just not my thing, or maybe the LT extreme focal length (20 m) just doesn't do this object any justice. You decide.  Comments welcome.

(click on the image for full resolution)

ic1795_HaRGB.thumb.jpg.fc74b873d5025130f76379a2c533ca94.jpg

Actually--that looks amazing--great processing.  The focal length does not do the "Fish Head" justice--can't even tell its part of that--but it looks great none the less.  It looks real, like something you'd see drifting out your portal window.  Very nice.  

Rodd

17 hours ago, wimvb said:

In most images of the heart and fish head nebs, this part would be a bit higher up than the fish head.

I think it looks like you handle the Ha quite well - not sure what you are disappointed with. One reason it will be difficult to figure out where this nebula is, is that it is a mirror image which is how they come out of the LT. Maybe if you flip it and turn it 180 ° it will be recognizable. One minor thing that sticks out as a bit odd is a couple of almost green stars, at least on my screen.

Archived