Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colimation

hello

i have noticed whenever i move the telescope from place to other in a car i find the alignment going a bit haywire. Why is it that critical during transportation that also in a car .

please advice

regards

shyam menon

I presume this is a Newtonian reflector?. A car journey shouldn't upset the collimation significantly. Once collimated, make sure the adjustment screws are tightened firmly but not overtightened. Check that the primary mirror is not too loose, you should be able to move it in its cell as tightness can distort the image. If the mirror is so loose that it rattles use a bit of packing to reduce it.  Good luck.  :icon_biggrin:

On 15/6/2017 at 20:16, wookie1965 said:

What scope is it I had a Skywatcher 150p and when moved that had to tweek collimation. 

celestrone 114eq astromaster...

not sure about them i know some of the smaller aperture scopes have a corrective lens in the focuser which makes it a bit more difficult to collimate, I`m sure using the guide I posted or astrobaby`s you will work it out just take your time once you have done the secondary you will not need do that again unless you really ash the scope, the primary may need a tweak every now and then. 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/214339-useful-info-about-secondary-mirror-alignment/#entry2742900

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of those laser collimator and did the collimation before even using my telescope my first time ever (first telescope ever) and it took me no longer than 5 minutes, it was a good investment (only £20 ish), Celestron 130

Archived