Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Double Cluster experiment...

StargeezerTim

From last night. 100% moon but low in sky. 72 ED-R used with 0.8 flattener/reducer. I was experimenting with spacing and added 2mm to the distance, it isnt too bad though I've cropped off the worst of the stars.

37 X 2 min, iso 400, flats , bias and darks, not guided. A grab and go cluster! Stacked in DSS and processed in PS. Clear nights are few and far between so you have got to do something...

593d8b75b9ea1_DoubleCluster.thumb.png.5c19b7f99b5fb0f12edb5d7cb5bf290d.png

4 hours ago, Space_Plane said:

Looks great Tim, the double cluster is one of my favourites. 

Mind if I ask what reducer / flattener you use? I have the same little scope. 

Cheers! 

Just posted this...

I have had difficulty getting nice stars to the edges with both the flatteners and am still experimenting with extra spacers. So far, adding 2mm to the Lightwave works best and 1.8mm to the Hotech gives the best flat field to date.

The scope is lovely isn't it. really easy to use and very solid. I think that it gives very good results for its price. 

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Stars look good--nice framing.  A bit clipped maybe?  background looks a bit black.  Great shot though.

Rodd

Thanks. Its not clipped but probably lacks depth because I only used 2 min subs. I couldn't be bothered to set up the guiding, especially as it was a full moon in twilight. :biggrin:

Ah right, excellent! Is it just this one then? It was never clear to me if it was suitable;

https://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-0.8x-reducer.html

Do you use a tube extension before the flattener itself, or does the focuser alone suffice? 

I'm only planning to start imaging with the scope in the coming months, but I agree, even visually I think the scope is spectacular. I had it at a local astro club a few months back in relatively dark skies, the sharpness and clarity of any object I looked at, seemed to impress everyone, "omg how can such a tiny scope show that" lol. 

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Space_Plane said:

Ah right, excellent! Is it just this one then? It was never clear to me if it was suitable;

https://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-0.8x-reducer.html

Do you use a tube extension before the flattener itself, or does the focuser alone suffice? 

I'm only planning to start imaging with the scope in the coming months, but I agree, even visually I think the scope is spectacular. I had it at a local astro club a few months back in relatively dark skies, the sharpness and clarity of any object I looked at, seemed to impress everyone, "omg how can such a tiny scope show that" lol. 

Thanks again!

Thats the one... you shouldnt need any tubes with it, just attach it to t-ring and dslr and off you go. I dont know about ccd's, you might need spacers for those. As i said, I have been experimenting with adding spacers to improve the stars at the edges. You just put them in between the flattener and t ring, though you should get a nice image without. We are talking about mm adjustments here, and i may well be over concerned (obsessed!).

Archived