NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to read first??

Hey Everyone,

My name is David and I'm 20. I'm French Canadian and I love every second of it :clouds2:

I want to pick up stargazing. I've never done it. I don't want to spend any money yet. I don't know anything about it.

How do I start?? If you have any link to a free tutorial please share. Pm me if you want to chat.

I think you need to look at the sky with your naked eye. See what you can recognise first and then move onto telescopes. That way you will already learn and know alot before you buy a telescope. use skymaps and see what you can spot with your eyes first then binoculars then a telescope.

Hi David.

I recommend "The Backyard Astronomer", by Terrence Dickinson (who is also Canadian). It is exactly for you - it does not assume you have purchased a telescope, and starts with introduction to the sky, constellations, naked-eye observing, and so on. It then gives good advice on telescope selection, and finally some very good introductory information for using your first telescope.

You can get the book at Chapters or any of the online book stores, and the book has an accompanying web site.

You should also find and visit a local Astronomy club, where you will find lots of advice and many astronomers willing to help introduce a new person into the hobby. If you are living in Canada, you can locate a club through the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.

Regards

Richard (Ottawa)

Archived