Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - 02/09/08

Celestron_130EQ

Saw Jupiter tonight in between the clouds with my Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. With my 10mm eyepiece Jupiter is fairly small but bright yellow disc with bout 3 moons in view. I could just about make out 2 red bands. So I decided to test my 4mm Celestron Plossl which gave fantastic views. Jupiter is now twice as large as before with 2 red bands more clearly noticeable and in times of clear patches of sky more bands were visible. Not bad for 20 mins viewing! Hope this helps someone in trying to get a picture of what Jupiter is like in a 5" scope along.

Well done on getting a good view of Jupiter, not easy this year with it being so badly placed.

Out of interest did you see a tiny black spot? i was observing Jupiter around 10.15pm and there was a shadow transit in progress. One of the moons was casting a shadow onto Jupiter. The atmosphere was pretty unsteady and i could see the shadow on/off as the air boiled. Not sure which moon though?

Regards

Russ

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am new to Astronomy, and I recently got an Astromaster 130 EQ Telescope. I have been trying to get a good image of Jupiter, but with not a lot of success so far. Is the "4mm Celestron Plossl" an eyepiece, or another completly different telescope, because I would love to see Jupiter through my telescope.

Thanks

Your scope will easily show Jupiter.

Are you having trouble finding it or observing it your ppost is not clear.

What eyepieces do you already have.

And yes a 4mm plossl is an eyepiece.

Your scope has a focal length of 900mm I think without checking so this 4mm would give you x225 so this is about the max for your scope. Just divide eyepiece size into Focal ength to get mag.

Archived