NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great red spot! or not..

The night between the 2nd and 3rd of june, I was looking at jupiter. I saw what looked like the red spot, which according to skysafari also was the red spot, but when I looked in stellarium, the red spot wasn't even visible. I tried to turn off "light speed" in stellarium, and I now saw the same image of jupiter as on skysafari. When I checked star walk 2, it said the same as stellarium (no red spot visible until 1 am), but then I tried in sky guide which showed the same as skysafari (red spot visible at midnight)

Which should I trust? (I haven't seen the red spot before, and this was my first time seeing something looking like it)

Just now, johnfosteruk said:

Sky safari is generally very accurate in my experience. Can't comment on stellarium Victor as I've never used it to check GRS. 

I was also pretty confident that I saw the red spot since it according to skysafari was right where it should be.

40 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

There is also quite a difference in price (I have the skysafari 5 pro)

Very true. There are cheaper options, Sky & Telescope have an app called Jupiter Moons which is very accurate, and cover moon and shadow transits too. They have an app on their website too I think.

Archived