Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar X and V

strinjf

Since learning about the Lunar X a few years ago, I've wanted to have a go at observing it.  

Last night, everything came together: firstly it was clear, second I had a free evening, and thirdly I remembered about it!

I started observing around 21:20 BST when the Lunar X was starting to become noticeable, but not complete.   The nearby V was more clearly visible at that time.

I observed and captured video sequences every minute or so for the next couple of hours.  I might attempt a time-lapse of sunrise over the X at some point, but it will take a while to stack each video and compile the resultant stills into a sequence.  Not helped by the fact that every couple of clips I had to re-position to the telescope due to non-existant polar alignment (I couldn't see polaris when I set up as it was still too light).

But for now, here is  a mosaic made from 10 stacked frames taken between 23:09 and 23:20 BST.

Skywatcher 150P/EQ3-2 + Philips SPC880 (mono CCD)

23_09_56_stitch.png

I tried, my exposure time went rapidly from 1:120 to 1:15 of a second before I gave up -  perhaps ten minutes before it would be come properly visible.

Ironically my best shot of it was half an hour early, a bit over-exposed but it seems to show most of the X and V

Archived