Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheapo Webcam Imaging Attempt #1 (Epic Fail)

Hey SGL,

So i have done a real bodge job on a webcam and inserted it into a spare 1.25" extender i had, all i can see is the below... Sorry for the unbelievably dumb question but i dont understand why this is happening :D (currently webcam looking straight into scope, no barlow attached) Is this because the camera is unable to focus? Any pointers would be great. The camera is a Microsoft Life Cam HD

** UPDATE ** I need to learn to read and not skip out paragraphs of text :D

I don't think i have removed everything i need to as there is a paragraph that says:

The easiest way to convert a webcam for telescope use is by purchasing a 1.25 inch adapter that can be screwed into the webcam, after the webcam's lens is unscrewed. Unfortunately, the Lifecam HD as most recent webcams, has an auto focus feature and its lens is not screw mounted. Instead, the lens is mounted in a plastic housing (image on left) with two electrical leads that are soldered onto the circuit board. To convert the Lifecam HD for telescope use, these leads must be unsoldered. The infrared block filter is located on the back side of this housing and can be removed for daytime infrared imaging.

I found the body of the Lifecam HD to be a challenge to take apart, mostly because of its small size. Fortunately, the cylindrical body style of the webcam makes it well suited for an astro imaging conversion. I found that its internal barrel shaped plastic housing fit perfectly and snuggly inside 1.25 inch eyepiece barrel extensions, making the conversion reassembly very easy. The resulting modified webcam is the sturdiest I have ever owned and should hold up well to field abuse and the elements. Using the 1.25 inch eyepiece barrel extensions, the modified webcam is ready for telescope use in any focuser and is also threaded for adding filters.

I haven't done this which could explain why the camera is not performing how i would expect it too, looks like i will need to take it back to work tomorrow and get a soldering iron from one of the Premises guys! I am expecting a "properly" converted webcam in the next few days from a member so will be interesting to see how that works out, i suspect completely fine!

http://dslrmodifications.com/lifecam/lifecam1.html

^^ Tutorial followed ^^ 

Capture.PNG

18 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Hello

Yes you just need to remove the lens of the webcam and then it will work that's why you see what you see. It needs to be the bare sensor of webcam. 

Gerry

Indeed, it was only when i was reviewing the tutorial to check if i had missed something and it seems i have done EVERYTHING but that crucial last part... :angry7:

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Carefully pick the LED off with small screwdriver.

I considered that, however the LED is TINY... I would end up skinning half the board if i tried :D

So i managed to get v2 of the Cheapo Webcam tested out last night on Jupiter and got a reasonable result... Obviously nothing special in terms of quality but not bad for an effectively free camera! (I took a video of what i saw which i have uploaded, the camera settings were literally me playing around for 5 mins so i could have got a much better image i expect but oh well)

In comparison to what i would have seen through a 6mm and 2x Barlow; the image in the video is a little larger however as a result i believe the quality of the image is lower, i am sure i see a little better through the lens even if Jupiter appears 20/30% smaller.

Jupiter Video through Cheapo Webcam v2

On 6/2/2017 at 19:35, ecuador said:

It's funny because EVERYTHING else is optional, i.e. you can leave LED lights, IR filters etc, only removing the lens is the absolutely mandatory part :)

Indeed, that is the annoying part, i had done everything non essential and left the one thing that had to be done! :D Oh well...

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hang in there, and use the freely available imaging software like PIPP, AS!2 and Registax. This is taken with my 150Pl using a lifecam and x2 Barlow:

59352c3a078ff_Jupiter23April2017.thumb.png.e6f360af31aabd68b3199f9790e3f9c0.png

Sweet! Is there much difference between the 150p and the 150PL?

Archived