Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR

Hi all, just looking into buying a DSLR for some astrophotography, i a a Nikon fan and have previously owned one, my question is are they suitable for astrophotography, looking at the D7200 and D750, any advice would be greatly appreciated,   clear skies 

yes very much so, I'm a Nikon user as well, and they actually have a better blaxk" than a cannon at the moment, I use a 7100, not modified, and have seen results with a modified one, but as there chip seems more sensitive to the reds don't really seem the need to modify, just use my ccd

Most people will tell you to grab a Canon over a Nikon due to better software support, while this is not as bigger an issue as it was in the past I would still recommend that you get a canon for astro-photography. 

The other reason to go cannon is the availability of Clip filters for canon in comparison to Nikon.

On the other hand if you have many lenses for your Nikon then you will save allot of cash over a canon...unless you are just going to attach it to a scope then its irrelevant.  

If you are going to get a full frame camera like the D750 from new then I would not do this as you will get a dedicated cooled asto-camera in that price range. 

I have a few accessories that are nikon fit so reluctant to change, I like general photography too so would be used for both, we have a neximage 5 aswell but would like to get a range of images from both cameras, 

2 minutes ago, Petehog72 said:

I have a few accessories that are nikon fit so reluctant to change, I like general photography too so would be used for both, we have a neximage 5 aswell but would like to get a range of images from both cameras, 

Ok , but I would caution you against trying to do it all with one camera as any modified DSLR is vastly better for astro work in comparison to any unmodified DSLR. Yes some DSLR have better H-a response than others with the filters intact but the fact is that they are still terrible compared to a modified camera. Now you can still use a modified camera for daylight photography with a custom white balance in general use...but if you are a enthusiast then you are unlikely to tolerate the color replication from a modified camera. 

So to underline that for you, I would 100% get a cheap modified camera over a very expensive un-modified one for astro work you will get better results. You will likely have enough cash left over to get a second camera for daylight photography. I used to get better photos with my modified 1000D than my friend did with his un-modified 5D MKIII. 

The main thing you are going to miss though is the clip filters as light pollution will be an issue in most locations in the UK and good luck trying to find a Nikon Clip filter (availability and price). 

Many thanks for these replies, they have clarified what i suspected, I shall look into canon for astro for sure, to be fair it would be mainly used connected to the scope.  Im not familiar with the modified bit so need to research that

On 15/05/2017 at 16:23, Petehog72 said:

So done a lil research and kinda getting my head around this, i have found a site that offers this service of modifiying cameras, does around £400 sound about right for a canon 1300D

I would get a 600D or 650D as opposed to the 1300D as I don't think that the 1300D has a swivel screen which I am told can be helpful if you are not imaging via a laptop. 

However if you want the 1300D then £400 is about right. 

You can get them pre-modified from a company called cheap astrophotography. 

Archived