NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hey guys,

Amongst my reasearch and eye peice hunting I've been looking at accessories and such. the South of the UK is unfortunately quiet light polluted so some area's are more difficult to observe and image capture than others but found these Light pollution filters. has anyone used these before do they work or just a gimmick?

It depends on what type of lights you have there to try to block. Many towns and cities are replacing what they have now - such as sodium which lights the area with the yellow-orange - with the full-spectra white-light LED's. Those you can't filter-out as the entire spectra is given off by them. You'd need to get the city to retro-fit baffles so they only light-up the area straght-downwards to only light the street & sidewalk. Read-up on materials from the International Dark-Skies Association:

http://darksky.org/

There is medical proof that these LED's can cause damage to the development of the brains of children, wipe-out entire species of life, and being a pain-in-the-neck to us astronomy-nuts!

Good luck and do tell us what sort of lights you wish to cut and/or reduce the impact of.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

It depends on what type of lights you have there to try to block. Many towns and cities are replacing what they have now - such as sodium which lights the area with the yellow-orange - with the full-spectra white-light LED's. Those you can't filter-out as the entire spectra is given off by them. You'd need to get the city to retro-fit baffles so they only light-up the area straght-downwards to only light the street & sidewalk. Read-up on materials from the International Dark-Skies Association:

http://darksky.org/

There is medical proof that these LED's can cause damage to the development of the brains of children, wipe-out entire species of life, and being a pain-in-the-neck to us astronomy-nuts!

Good luck and do tell us what sort of lights you wish to cut and/or reduce the impact of.

Dave

Well I imagine I should be ok then don't have a lot of Sodium lights around anymore all my street lights are LED and my garden is darker since they where fitted thankfully

Archived