NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Io Transit 13/05/2017

Alan White

My slightly improving sketch from last night, the seeing was rather good,
the limiting factor was cloud, my eyes and I got cold towards the end.
Sketch is a redone this morning from 3 at the eyepiece sketches and rough notes. 
Had been enhanced with a good wash of tea after I tipped a mug of tea all over as I was putting my kit away last night!
Hence the re-done version today.

591883c2d83b2_SketchJupiter13May2017.thumb.jpg.97386d84252c656d5b54a1c48f9ee5b9.jpg

Very nice and detailed sketch Alan. I missed the transit last night even though it was clear outside, as I had other things to do, so I'm glad you posted your sketch.

It's usually good to make a cleaned up version of a sketch made at the eyepiece, as sketching in low light doesn't always result in a pretty picture. No point in crying over spilt tea! ?

Mike

This is very good.

Is the shading of the polar regions that contrasty (Equals the equatorial belts)  compared to tropical and equatorial zones? Or is it a bit more subtle?

You are by far much much better than me a sketching planets. :) (:sad2:)

Rune

On 15/05/2017 at 21:56, Pondus said:

This is very good.

Is the shading of the polar regions that contrasty (Equals the equatorial belts)  compared to tropical and equatorial zones? Or is it a bit more subtle?

Thank you.

On the shading, I think that's my pencil shading skills showing themselves rather than what I observed, I find subtle shading difficult still, you are correct a bit too contrasty against reality.

Archived