Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13

RichieJarvis

Well, the skies finally (FINALLY!!!!) cleared long enough for me to do some imaging - not great tonight, so I thought I would revisit my old friend M13 - luckily for me, the high-hazy clouds that came in seemed to avoid that area of the sky :)

Let me know what you think!

Equipment wise, I used my GS150 Newt with the SXV-H9, guided with my ZS66 on an EQ6 with EQMOD

The image was shot with:

20 x 60 second + 10 x 120 second Luminance (DDP applied)

20 x 60 second Red, Green and Blue with DDP applied

I then processed a little in Photoshop to try and reveal a bit more of the core.

And here it is:

8012_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Cheers,

Richie

That's very good considering the light conditions - excellent focus and good round stars, lots of detail. And the faint background galaxy IC4617 shows up nicely! I had a go at taking out the gradient and darkening the sky, hope you don't mind...

I would like to echo what pete said and like him I've also had a go at your image. :) Left a bit more of the 'glow' around the periphery ............ do you know what caused the artifacts that look like Swan Vesta matchsticks to appear in the image?

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

do you know what caused the artifacts that look like Swan Vesta matchsticks to appear in the image?

Those, I would guess, are hot pixels, which showed through in the luminance and one or two of the red frames too. They are drawn out into lines because of slight drift between the frames.

Did you take any dark frames, Richie? Unfortunately I don't know of any other way of getting rid of hot pixels in the processing (maybe there's something in Noel's Tools?).

No - I didn't take any dark frames :clouds1: I had read that the SXV-H9 didn't need them - obviously not! LOL

Thanks for the comments guys - that was definately late-night hurried processing just before bed after plenty of wine :) I've had a little play this evening, and discovered that deconvolving the Luminance frame seems to make a huge difference - what do you think?

If anyone else wants a go, I am happy to upload the LRGB fits files where you can get your mitts on em... PM me for the URL... The deal is you have to tell me the steps you took though :(

8033_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Cheers,

Richie

I've had a little play this evening, and discovered that deconvolving the Luminance frame seems to make a huge difference - what do you think?

It most certainly does! Excellent result there! And the 'swan vestas' seem to have all but disappeared into the deconvolution (something I've noticed, myself, in playing around with my own frames...)

Archived