Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Jupiter, 20170502

animaal

Lots of very good Jupiter images over the past few days - imagine how good our skills would be if only we had clear skies more than one week of the year...

Anyway, here's my latest. Not as good as a lot we see on this forum, but it's my best yet. I took an IR channel as well, and it improves the detail when used as luminance. But I haven't used the IR channel because it colours the red spot an unhealthy looking orange-yellow colour.  And I don't want to cheat by recolouring the spot!

2017-05-02-2149_4-RGB.png

2 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Looks like a fine image to me plenty detail visible and very nicely processed. What equipment are you using?

Thanks, I used a C9.25 and an asi290mm. I'd like to have used a 1.5x barlow but I don't have one, so I drizzled at 1.5x instead.

Just now, animaal said:

Thanks, I used a C9.25 and an asi290mm. I'd like to have used a 1.5x barlow but I don't have one, so I drizzled at 1.5x instead.

That's good level of resolution at F10, i use a X1.8 Barlow and find it just about right by the time you factor in the Crayford and filter wheel. How long was the imaging run?

2 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

That's good level of resolution at F10, i use a X1.8 Barlow and find it just about right by the time you factor in the Crayford and filter wheel. How long was the imaging run?

I used 90 secs for each of R, G and B (and IR, but ended up not using it!).

The ASI290MM has tiny pixels, so there's good detail at lower F-values. But I think F15 is probably the highest I could bring it. Cameras with larger pixels might be better with  F15-F25.

Yes, I've started using Winjupos for the first time this month. I'm new to mono imaging, and it's the only way I could think of to allow me a little time to mess with the filter wheel and maybe focus between each filter.

A lot of detail captured. You might want to reduce saturation a bit and tweak colour balance, but otherwise a very nice image. F/1.5 is theoretically close to optimal for 2.9 micron pixels, but I have found that I generally can get a bit more if I go a bit beyond that. I frequently use F/25 on my 3.75 micron ASI224MC, which gives better results that F/20.

9 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

You might want to reduce saturation a bit and tweak colour balance, but otherwise a very nice image.

Thanks Michael, after looking at some "real" images of Jupiter (from the ESA), I can see what you mean. I do think this second attempt looks better...

2017-05-02-2149_4-RGB.png

Archived