Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon Action EX 7x50 CF Binoculars.

I think I must have worn out the search engine here looking for  Nikon  Action Ex  7x50  CF binoculars.

I am trying to find a review as I am thinking of buying a set.

I have a set of Strathspey 10x50    at the moment, but although they are fine for wild life, when I look at the stars the image bounces all over the place.

I understand about old eyes and big apertures etc.  but 10x is too shaky for me to see without some sort of support.     So I am definitely after 7x magnification.

Any one had experience of them or could guide me to any decent reviews?

Cheers.

Hi. I was thinking: the detail you can see through even a 7x50 benefits enormously from a monopod or tripod.

Maybe you should try your 10x50s on a monopod/tripod first. As an added benefit you can observe longer and in more comfort, as your arms won't get tired so fast.

I agree with Ruud, a monopod makes a big difference. I have shakier hands than most and have mounted 10x50s to good effect. However, if you do decide to reduce magnification you can stay with a 5mm (-sh) exit by going to an 8x42. Going further I have a 6.5 x32 binocular which is excellent and so easy to handle.

Hi Merkhet.

I'd also agree it might be worth mounting your existing pair if you've not tried already. I use a cheap camera tripod and it transforms my binos.

That said, I've got the 7x35 Nikon Action EX. Nice binos for the money I'd say. I bought them primarily for their very large field of view for Milky Way scanning. Optically pretty nice, although there's a bit of pincushion distortion and lack of focus at the edge of the field. The field is so huge that there's still plenty of good quality view in the centre though! I'd hope/guess this would be significantly less obvious in the 7x50 with their reduced field of view. They are sturdy and well made but as such are fairly heavy - not much lighter than my 10x50s (different brand/model), and the 7x50s Nikons would be a fair bit heavier than my little pair. Despite the low mag, the 7x35 aren't as easy to use as I expected, due to the weight. Overall, I'm happy with them and looking forwards to reclining back later in the year for some good Milky Way views!

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I took your advice folks and bought a  Neewer Pistol Grip Head from Amazon.  Quite difficult to find one.

I made an adaptor for it on my little lathe and it works a treat.

I should have gone down that route years ago.

Thanks all for the advice.

Archived