NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WO SPL 3mm - Same but Different ?

Charic

On FLO they all look the same, and I have always assumed that the Altair Lightwaves are rebrands (identical specifications) and they all have similar eyecups across the range - smooth it would seem from the images available.

Since they will be made in one of the Chinese factories I can only assume that for a run they made use of a slightly different eyecup.

6 minutes ago, ronin said:

I can only assume that for a run they made use of a slightly different eyecup.

Cheers ronin, I have seen various images on google search depicting sets with either cup, so yeah, could be just a factory issue.
I only noticed the difference today, comparing with my newest 3mm.
Funny old thing, I Saw a 3mm for almost half the price this week, ain't that just typical.

I've got the set too, all bought second hand except the 6mm which has the taller eyecup, just like yours doesn't ? No idea why the change, but the later ones might be the taller eyecup to match the long eye relief?

James

I'm 100% it won't make any difference to the visuals. I thought after the discovery that the previous owner had changed/modified for whatever reason.

Ive only really used the 6mm, its my primary 6mm eyepiece, and I can't remember the last time I used the 12.5, and  having just purchased the 3mm, will need further tests.
As its a set, I had reason to collect all three, and will sell all three, in turn,  if needs must, maybe, one day ?

A  crazy week on the classifieds too, I've just sold three Delos EP's and one of the ones I wanted appeared, with a not too un-reasonable price, but too late, as mine had gone as too with a 3mm SPL, one appears with a good price.

I'll try the SPL's tonight, won't hold my breath for the conditions, but I'll chill the scope for a few hours?
I looked out last night at about 2230 Hrs and the only things visible in my twilight sky was the Moon and Jupiter ( wrong position for viewing ) but the Moon will suffice, after all , its what the SPL's were made for!

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 15:44, ronin said:

Since they will be made in one of the Chinese factories I can only assume that for a run they made use of a slightly different eyecup.

Manufactured by Long Perng. Some variety of outfits. But the optics should be the same.

http://www.longperng.com.tw/goods.php?act=list&catId=20&page=4

Archived