Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30mm EPs compared: ES 82deg and Rev Astro S/V 68deg

The ES was bought to replace the Rev Astro Superview, so I thought I'd compare the two (in the 8SE) before selling the Revelation on.

Both EPs have nice large eye lenses, and the same 22mm of eye relief.

Jupiter and his moons were good and clear, so I used them as the target.  In the centre of the field, both gave good sharp images, and a third belt on Jupiter (the SS Temperate) was very clear.  There was some light scatter around the planet in both cases, but nothing too severe.  This all showed in fact how good the Revelation is for its price!

The ES came into ts own however because of the wider FOV, and the better sharpness across the FOV.  Only at the very edge was there some curvature/slight loss of focus, and perhaps the 'scope contributed to this.  In the case of the Rev, the focus dropped off away from centre field, and it also exhibited noticeable astigmatism, meaning that focus there could not be made sharp again.

In a shorter focal length 'scope, the superior performance of the ES would I believe be more marked.  It is a fine EP, and the fact that it weighs in at over four times the weight of the Rev is not much of an issue at all, despite my earlier reservations!

Doug.

Interesting review Doug. The ES is a big beast! It sounds like the Revelation stood up remarkably well considering the price. 

Just wait until you let it loose on the big open clusters or a galaxy field. Then you'll really see something!

What scope were you using?

Paul

4 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Interesting review Doug. The ES is a big beast! It sounds like the Revelation stood up remarkably well considering the price. 

Just wait until you let it loose on the big open clusters or a galaxy field. Then you'll really see something!

What scope were you using?

Paul

Thanks Paul - as I said, I was using the 8SE.  I'll try other targets and my other 'scope (120 frac) next time.

Yes, the Revelation is a decent low-cost EP, especially if off-axis performance is less of a concern. 

Doug.

Archived