Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS Solar Prism ?

ronin

Anyone any experience of one of these TS Solar Prism's ?

Looking at getting something for a bit of solar observing and the Lunt ones appear to have steadily increased in cost, the Baader ones are simply too costly but are good, the Lacetera ones are sort of least UK cost but to an extent never sure what they come with and what I might need. The I saw these but not on the TS site at that time, located them afterwards on TS.

They appear somewhat generally similar to the Lunt options, there are differences in the casing so not the same, but the price includes a filter at 540nm (continium wavelength), so means no need to add that to the overall purchase cost.

Thought I would ask if people anywhere have any experience of them.

I haven't used one of these but I have bought a number of bits of TS kit and they are always good quality. I suspect they are re-badged versions of a mainstream manufacturer.

The blurb on their website says this comes fully equipped and you do not need additional filters. I think you can trust TS to get that right.

Looks interesting, and good value considering it includes a Continuum filter. TS do make good stuff I think.

Slightly confused as there is no mention of an ND3.0 filter, which I thought was necessary to reduce light to safe levels? I'm sure it is safe but I think the explanation is not necessarily so clear.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks interesting, and good value considering it includes a Continuum filter. TS do make good stuff I think.

Slightly confused as there is no mention of an ND3.0 filter, which I thought was necessary to reduce light to safe levels? I'm sure it is safe but I think the explanation is not necessarily so clear.

I wonder if that is just a typo on the website, Stu? They mention that 95% of the light is blocked, which is the same spec quoted by Lunt with the built-in ND3.0.

16 minutes ago, DRT said:

I wonder if that is just a typo on the website, Stu? They mention that 95% of the light is blocked, which is the same spec quoted by Lunt with the built-in ND3.0.

Most likely, as said it must be safe, they would not sell it otherwise.

I thought that the Wedge itself removes 95% of the light (including UV/IR), then the ND3.0 reduces it by a factor of 1000 so you end up with 0.005% of the light passing through which then gets further reduced by the polarizer or Continuum....

Archived