Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with filter wheel blanks

I have an apogee manual filter wheel will RGB dichroic filters. Ive somehow (in the past) managed to cross thread two of the housings and I can't get them out with damaging them. 

Csm anyone tell me where I buy new ones at? Can't seem to find any where I've looked. I've a few cheap old filters that I was going to split but they are too tall for the wheel.

Also is there any way to attach the camera directly to the filter wheel to reduce distance?

Thanks in advance

Adam 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Hi, Any idea about the thread sizes? It looks like M48 on the wheel and M42 on the cam. Is that true?

If it is, you need a converter M42 male to M48 male, like this one: https://www.astromarket.org/accessoires/adapters/adapter-t2-naar-/m48-male-to-m42-male997496

Thanks for the reply! Rough measurements: 25.1mm and 33.6mm

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks for the reply! Rough measurements: 25.1mm and 33.6mm

Those are very odd sizes for astronomy equipment... the 25,1 is C-mount I think, but 33,6 ???

Maybe, if you take them to a machine shop, they can give you the right sizes, so you know where you're at.

It looks like something was done to the camera... what happened?
The camera has the C-mount connection, I guess.
You could approach Apogee for info about the connection on that filterwheel, so you can find a converter/adapter.
Maybe they even can sell you one...

It's a board level camera with a home made box.  I have the c mount. I have the 1.25" holder that screws onto the wheel at the 33.6mm threads. It's just that I can't get focus on my 250px with the wheel. I figured if I could directly mount the camera to the wheel I would gain 20mm.  Otherwise I'm stuck doing mono images of Jupiter etc. 

IMG_2758.JPG

Sorry, I misunderstood.
of course you need more inward travel with your focuser, when the wheel is attached.
This may mean you will need to change the position of your focuser on your dob... or the main mirror

6 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Sorry, I misunderstood.
of course you need more inward travel with your focuser, when the wheel is attached.
This may mean you will need to change the position of your focuser on your dob... or the main mirror

Thank for taking time to reply! Definitely not going to go down that route  

3 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

The only other option I can think of, would be to use a C-mount/1,25 nosepiece to have the right thread machined on it, to couple the two....

I have thought about just bonding two separate pieces together.

i guess my only question is can the Barlow go below the filterwheel?

Yes it should, but trying does not hurt. that even should give you more inward travel space.

By that I mean that the barlow extends the focal point so you probably will be bale to get in focus without doing weird things with the filterwheel-camera distance.

Barlow- filterwheel-camera

47 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Yes it should, but trying does not hurt. that even should give you more inward travel space.

By that I mean that the barlow extends the focal point so you probably will be bale to get in focus without doing weird things with the filterwheel-camera distance.

Barlow- filterwheel-camera

Thanks. I really appreciate you taking time to work through things with me. 

Archived