NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon and Jupiter -8/04/2017

Swoop1

I headed out for a bit of Lunar work tonight, setting the scope up at about 9:00. Once set, I put the 25mm EP and X2 Barlow combination in and started to work my way around the surface, checking out the fall of shadow at the terminator and at the limbs.

I had a b&w Lunar 100 printout with me and referred to it several times. I still struggle to orientate this map to the surface as viewed through my scope. I think it is the way the map is drawn/ shaded in comparison with the contrast I see with my eye- I haven't quite yet made that leap of "Ahh, so THAT is what I am looking at!". I will have to identify an easier to read under red light map. Having said that, the brightness of the moon would probably mean I could shine white light on any map I am using without paying the penalty on returning to the EP.

Anyway, I digress. The shadow detail was beautiful and I sent quite some time on the 25mm/X2 combo before upping to 10mm/ X2 to get really up close and personal. There was one particular crater just outside the terminator which I think would have been to the South West which was showing a quite distinct triangular shadow. On examination, I think I identified a peak just off the rim that was responsible for this shadow. As I become familiar with the topography of the moon, I suspect I will identify the feature. For now however, just looking was great.

After about 45 minutes on the moon, Jupiter popped out from behind my neighbours roof so I realigned. I was rewarded with fantastic views so spent half an hour following this fantastic subject. The view was wonderful. With the 25mm EP and X2 the cloud bands were quite distinct with half a dozen or so identifiable at times. Upping the the 10mm and X2 reduced detail but I was still able to easily discern a number of bands. One day, the GRS will be mine....

I then decided to call it a night as I am recovering from a cold and I have work tomorrow. A nice way to spend an hour and a bit in the garden though and better by the fact that my wife popped out a couple of times to the a peek at what I was seeing.

I sometimes find it difficult to identify lunar features from the moon after a session if the shadow angle in the photos isn't the same as the view at the time. There are some drawn maps that I find better sometimes than photographic maps.

The areas around the north and south poles I find the most difficult, a number of times i have totally failed to confirm what a feature was!

Archived