SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sony A7s users

Hi everyone. I've recenently decided to pick up an A7s but i have concerns regarding remote control. I have a pier outside with 2 cat 5 running between the mount and the laptop. One cat 5 is in use with a 4 port usb over ethernet.  Does anyone know what options i have regarding capture and also the ability to see the images as they are captured. 

Regards,

Richard.

Are you using Windows?  Unfortunately Sony have not provided any kind of library to allow writing camera control software.  The only way to control a tethered camera is to use Sony's own RCC (Remote Camera Control) application.  As Carole said, I've written my own software which presses the shutter button on Sony's RCC once you've set up exposure length etc. on RCC.  It will even allow arbitrary length bulb mode exposures if you set RCC to bulb mode.  But bulb mode causes the infamous Sony "star eater" spatial filtering, so I avoid bulb mode.  You need to come up with your own ideas to view the images as they download to the PC - I just open them manually.

More details here:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/517530-another-acquisition-program-for-sony-a7-series-cameras/

Mark

Well done Mark. That's a great solution to the problem. Thanks for making it available. I've been spoiled with sgpro as a capturing program. So easy to use and as each frame comes in i can see it while reading a book, watching tv or whatever. That way i can catch the cloud as it comes in and watch for rain. Gonna need a rain sensor i think.

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a sony 6500 and part of the reason for buying was Sony saying you could control remotely.  I was therefore rather disappointed with the limited amount of remote control actually possible!  Why has Sony tied users hands on what can be changed remotely??  

So... really pleased to see Mark's workaround ?  Will have to have a play ?  My camera was purchased in preparation for the summer eclipse - so set up prior would be great.

Helen

Archived