Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Super wide binoculars

YKSE

Certainly interesting. I note the eye relief of the 10x50 (I much prefer 5mm exit pupil) is rated at 15.3mm, which would be just about enough for me. They are heavy beasts, easily as heavy as my 15x70 Helios Apollo HDs. What is really odd is that the specs state a true FOV of 9 deg for the 10x50s, but a 76.4 deg AFOV. Given that  76.4/10 = 7.64, this suggests a lot of distortion, and I make that barrel, not pincushion as mentioned in the blurb. :icon_scratch:

I'm not quite following you Michael, there're lots of EPs with wider than 76° AFOV, which have more total distition, many with pincushion distortion, maybe combined with Angular magnification distortion too.

Look quite costly (estimates of £4.5k!!) I picked up some elderly 11degree FoV 7x35 that are probably as heavy, though probably with less eye relief... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=272453&highlight=Bushnell+Rangemaster+review.cant have everything! Lovely in the day, lovely at night, make for easy starhopping.

cheers

PeterW

Archived