Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

upgrade time again

Budget £2500

I will be installing two piers this year.

Think upgrade should be imaging camera and/or guide camera(s)

Aware that on imaging camera is unlikely to be suitable for either of the OTAs,so, considering if I can get two.

Preferred targets are DSO galaxies (incl. M31 and M42 - but would do mosaics for those using SG-Pro)

Open to options.

An ATIK for guiding and ZWO1600 for imaging are tempting, but I'd need to take account of EFW and filter for the ZWO (i'd go mono).

May consider OSC this year, but long term definitely want to go mono.

But, should I upgrade the mounts first? Cameras change very year, a mount is a 5+ year investment.

Current kit

• Celestron AVX
  • Celestron CGEM-DX
  • Celestron 8" SCT
  • Skywatcher Equinox ED80 Pro
  • Skywatcher 200P-DS
  • Skywatcher startravel 80 (for guiding)
  • Orion 50mm guide scope
  • Canon 600D - modded
  • Canon 700d
  • Canon 70D
  • QHY CCD 6
  • Touptek Mono
  • Touptek colour

18 hours ago, recceranger said:

Jes!

Why upgrade!?☘??

Want to move away from the DSLRs.

If I change cameras, then a CCD works better with fewer longer exposures

The newer CMOS, ZWO1600 for example, with lower read noise and higher sensitivity combined with the lower bit count the AD convertor, seems to be better suited to more shorter exposures.

So, if recommendation was for a CCD camera, would I need to upgrade the mount to improve tracking/guiding to support the longer exposures, or, just an upgraded guide camera.

If consensus was CMOS, and I concur, then it's just a camera upgrade with filters and EFW.

No single camera would cover both OTAs, so, could it be that one would be better with a CCD and the other with a CMOS?

Archived