NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Foolproof way of finding M78......

GazOC

Tried this last night with a 32mm Plosel and it works!!

Get Mintaka (the most western star in Orions belt) at the centre of your FOV then wait 15 minutes and the Earths rotation will place M78 in the eyepiece.

Give it a go Caz, it defineatly works. (Check on Starry Night!)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if the two stars are M78, what's the pointer top left marked M78 pointing at?

Captain Chaos

Sorry CC?

M78: top-left

Mintaka: bottom-right

The two circles represent the field-of-view seen thru a 32mm and a 40mm - for reference/scale. (both eyepieces work).

I was going by Ambermile's comment about the two core stars and guessed that the two close together stars in the centre of the FOV circles were those stars. Couldn't see M78, other than the pointer top left pointing to M78 I assume?

So the FOV is not centred on M78, correct? The two stars in the FOV centre are not the core stars Ambermile mentioned?

Getting more confused

Captain Chaos

2 core stars???..... Did you say 2 core stars???.... I've spotted it then, by the looks of it I've spotted it everytime I've looked for it..... :shock: These stars are not very far apart, are they?.... Just like Steves image!!!! Oh my goodness, I kept looking at these 2 stars and wondering, but as much as I looked I couldn't make out any other detail.... :lol:

I've spotted the M78 haven't I, tell me I have??? :(

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Just like the Straw Man, you've had it all along... :p

Yeah yeah yeah. Right. Course you have. It's OK you know - we understand...

Arthur :p

Arthur, don't wind me up.... :lol: :blackeye:

Would I ? :( Next it's left a bit for the Rosette (may need Ha for that though) and then left and up a bit more to the Christmas Tree! No excuses now - if you can get M78 you should be able to get all the rest of the M's. (not that the Rosette and Christmas Tree *are* M's, but still... )

Arthur

PS - Well done though, really :hello1:

Thank you Arthur, means a lot.... :lol:

Does a HA filter bring out the nebulosity?

*edit* I thought a HA filter was for solar viewing....?

Well, H Alpha is used for solar prominence viewing yes, but a *very* narrow band (like 0.1nm). For ccd work we use about 4nm tops, for visual about 13nm I believe. A visual Ha filter will bring out all sort s of stuff, like the Rosette, Veil, California, etc.

Arthur

PS - these figures are rough...

Caz,

Take to notice, from the UK with an ordinary scope M78 is a pain to spot. It's listed at mag 7.5 (?) but the light is that difffuse that unless you know you are looking at it you just see the two stars.

Put it down in the 'bagged' list and move on. :lol: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Gaz

Caz,

Take to notice, from the UK with an ordinary scope M78 is a pain to spot. It's listed at  mag 7.5 (?) but the light is that difffuse that unless you know you are looking at it you just see the two stars.

Put it down in the 'bagged' list and move on. :( :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Gaz

Hi Gary - I'm sorry - I thought I'd made it reasonably clear that the Ha was for the NGCs that I allured to rather than M78?  Maybe I should have typed slower to let you keep up?

Arthur :lol:

I was just pointing out that M78 (Ha or no Ha) isn't as easy to spot as it sounds. I thought this was all said in fun?

Had a hard night Arthur? :?

BTW "allured"? :lol: Perhaps you should type slower..... :(

Ah - but I was not mentioning M78 and Ha in the same sentence. Yes - I thought it was said in fun too Gary but to tell someone to ignore something else is particualrly bad manners I think.

Arthur

PS - as is spelling corrections? OK "alluDed" ...I believe there is a netiquette guide I could send you if you like?

Archived