NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rosette Nebula now nearly 3hrs DSLR data

Stub Mandrel

After several night which only produced about 60 minutes of data after dumping two or three times as much that was no good, last night I was finally able to add another two hours.

I think it's starting to take on the appearance of a huge, angry storm in space.

Any criticisms or suggestions for this (I know someone will say more data!) more than welcome!

58d6914670a1a_RosetteNebula.thumb.png.5fbfd99202896d83d6577e793b6bc859.png

Looks great. The background colour mottle is 'easy' to remove if you dither (12+ pixels in both RA and DEC). This will also make processing the data easier.

Oh, lest I forget: also get more data :grin:

Thanks for sharing

You're starting to pull out some detail, so as Wim says...more data please :)

You might want to take another look at your background removal. I think you still have a fairly heavy amount of light pollution affecting the image so it looks a little 'washed out' and you've lost too much in the upper left corner where it's almost gone to black. I think there is much more hiding in the image.

Ha! I was going to ask about curing the dreaded blotch in PS.

The problem is the better I get at my PA and tuning my mount the less it drifts...

Also I think my darks aren't ideal, I've just taken 99 in the fridge to match last night's low temperature.

Gradient exterminator struggles a bit on this one because so much of the frame has to be excluded

130P-DS with modded Canon 460D on an EQ3.

Neil, do you have both RA and DEC motors on your mount? If so, you can use the hand controller to dither. Manual dithering is a pain (been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt), but totally worth the effort.

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I might write dithering into my controller, but if I do that I will also need to write an interval timer for it as well.

I'm not sure my sanity could cope with manually  expose-ditehr-expose  every two minutes for five hours... :alien:

Try doing that at -15 C. I believe I used styrofoam insulation to stand on. :grin: Otoh, I only did about 40 x 2 minutes.

That's when I got the idea for a 'ditherbox'. I used the camera control from the Synscan handcontroller. Passed the signal through a microcontroller and on to the remote control input of my camera.

Whenever the shutter signal from the HC ended an exposure, the microcontroller would send a signal to the ST4 port of the mount, to move in either RA+, DEC+, RA-, or DEC- for a certain amount of time. It worked great, except that it didn't compensate for DEC backlash. With my AZ-EQ6 mount, I can't use this anymore. But whenever I do widefield with my EQ3 mount, I use the ditherbox.

Wow, this is hard to process, I've spent several hours on it now.

It is made harder because I've managed to pick up the fainter nebulosity in a huge band that the rosette is near one end of.

I really can't decide how much to lighten this fainter nebulosity, but it is 'real' although most rosette images don't show it.

Somehow I can't get the same blue in the central stars as I was getting with the shorter integrations.

<edit> I've tried again not pushing the fainter nebulosity as hard.

58d7b073c06c1_RosetteNebula.thumb.png.a485779253614d0436f1bc5837f96915.png

Archived