SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear skies tonight!

StormAurora

Weather forecast says clear tonight, for southern UK ?

Getting my dob out and hoping to find some galaxies.

I've only had a 4" scope before and only saw Andromeda. Only a couple of weeks ago I managed to find M81 and 82, a beautiful sight together in the same fov.

I have never seen any others. I was thinking of looking at a large cluster of galaxies between Leo and Coma Berenices. Unfortunately I have a nasty yellow sodium street light right under that area. Will this prevent me from seeing any galaxies there?

Hope you all get some observing/imaging in tonight. Good luck everyone ?

Bad News: Sodium vapor-lights can well diminish the visibility of DSO's for us scope-users and others.

Good News: Sodium vapor-lights do respond well to specific filter-types for them. However many factors come into play here, such as placement of the lights, proximity, reflections of them, etc.

A number of other methods for lessening the impact of street-lights should be researched. Both reactive and proactive responses. Such as putting up barriers to block their light from impacting your area, down to wearing a "Monk's Hood" type of personal protection for your eyesight. And approaching your town or city-council to educate the members on the health-effects of turning people's homes into "High Noon" - especially on growing children's brain-development and other nasty factors. More and worse concerns are surfacing often. An active relationship with the International Dark Sky Association (IDSA) is a good resource:

http://darksky.org/

Hope this helps. And good luck on your 'galaxy-quest!'

Dave

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately the darn light is about 20 foot away and right in my eyes and telescope tube ?

I've just come inside after 6 hours searching for galaxies but had no luck. Very disappointed. I will try the council but don't hold out any hope. 

Managed to see my favourite M13, gorgeous as always. Also Jupiter, as Io popped out from behind ?

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Eric, glad you got a few hours. I know, it's been so cloudy this last few months. I think I've only had 4 nights observing since December. Hope it picks up for you soon.

Thanks so much.

Archived