Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

StormAurora

Clear skies tonight!

8 posts in this topic

Weather forecast says clear tonight, for southern UK 😃

Getting my dob out and hoping to find some galaxies.

I've only had a 4" scope before and only saw Andromeda. Only a couple of weeks ago I managed to find M81 and 82, a beautiful sight together in the same fov.

I have never seen any others. I was thinking of looking at a large cluster of galaxies between Leo and Coma Berenices. Unfortunately I have a nasty yellow sodium street light right under that area. Will this prevent me from seeing any galaxies there?

Hope you all get some observing/imaging in tonight. Good luck everyone 😀

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Bad News: Sodium vapor-lights can well diminish the visibility of DSO's for us scope-users and others.

Good News: Sodium vapor-lights do respond well to specific filter-types for them. However many factors come into play here, such as placement of the lights, proximity, reflections of them, etc.

A number of other methods for lessening the impact of street-lights should be researched. Both reactive and proactive responses. Such as putting up barriers to block their light from impacting your area, down to wearing a "Monk's Hood" type of personal protection for your eyesight. And approaching your town or city-council to educate the members on the health-effects of turning people's homes into "High Noon" - especially on growing children's brain-development and other nasty factors. More and worse concerns are surfacing often. An active relationship with the International Dark Sky Association (IDSA) is a good resource:

http://darksky.org/

Hope this helps. And good luck on your 'galaxy-quest!'

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
tp.
1 person likes this

Got two and a half hours of viewing this evening, then the wind got up, the rain descended and I quit. Still, two and a half hours is better than the last few weeks, i.e. zilch.

Eric. 

2 people like this

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately the darn light is about 20 foot away and right in my eyes and telescope tube 😬

I've just come inside after 6 hours searching for galaxies but had no luck. Very disappointed. I will try the council but don't hold out any hope. 

Managed to see my favourite M13, gorgeous as always. Also Jupiter, as Io popped out from behind 😀

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Eric, glad you got a few hours. I know, it's been so cloudy this last few months. I think I've only had 4 nights observing since December. Hope it picks up for you soon.

Thanks so much.

In my town some street lamps that face peoples bedroom windows have one side painted black (presumably by the council) so I guess it can be done. Might be worth asking :)

1 person likes this

Thanks. We have contacted them today and they are sending someone to check it out next Tuesday, so fingers crossed 😎

1 person likes this

Not any more:clouds1:. Couldn't go out earlier and now it's too late.:BangHead:

This weather drives us nuts 😣😤