Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ Goto Slipping

Hi all, 

I'm a relatively new to astronomy and astrophotography, and would like some advice about a problem I'm having.  I have a Skywatcher Evostar ED80 on a Skywatcher AZ Goto mount.  When I'm taking pictures with a DSLR and a Barlow attached to the telescope and slewing downwards past a certain angle the mount is slipping due to too much weight on the rear on the telescope.  Can this be remedied safely with some counterweights on the front of the telescope?

Either counterweights (wrap type ankle weights work well) or simply rebalance the scope by moving it forward on the dovetail.  If the existing dovetail isn't long enough to reach proper balance, buy a longer one and attach it then rebalance.

What weight is the mount capable of carrying and what is the total of the scope and DSLR?

Have you balanced the scope in what I presume are the tube rings and dovetail so the weight is not all hanging off one end? You want the centre of gravity where the dovetail is attachec at the mount arm. You are using a longer scope then the mount usually has on it and then you are putting a lump of weight called a DSLR on one end.

Archived