Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SpaceX going around the Moon

Ags

4 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

3 things struck me about this when i saw it on tv:

1/The craft hasnt been built yet.

2/ The technology that will go into this, hasnt been created or tested yet.

3/ This "mission" is apparently going to take place around June 2018.

I honestly cant see it happening.

The craft and technology most certainly exist; Falcon Heavy (derivative/upscale of Falcon) is due to launch its first mission this summer; the Dragon 2 capsule is due to fly in November - SpaceX could be on schedule for a summer 2018 Lunar orbital mission.  

There are major concerns over parts of the SpaceX processes, not least as others have mentioned, the refuelling the Falcon(s) while the crew are on top of the stack; will have to check but not that long back NASA were vetoing this part of the turnaround/launch process. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding risk, accidents and our attitude to risk taking.  Last night I watched a film about Amy Johnston. On landing her Gypsy Moth, flown from England to Australia on her record breaking solo flight, she exhorted the youth of her country to put aside the debilitating mantra of safety first. Risk aversion was becoming as crippling then in 1930s as it has now.  Flight and space exploration has and always will be risky business - it will always take lives especially when pushing the boundaries.  The great pioneers of flight like Chuck Yeager the Apollo astronauts, space shuttle crews, and latterly Mike Alsbury (pilot Virgin Galactic Spaceship Two) knew this and accepted this.  Civilian pioneers throughout history have been no different, it's just we have grown use to the idea that we have tamed this world and controlled risk. We need these bold endeavours more than ever now to push the boundaries further and that means accepting risk.  

That aside, I still wouldn't go cause I really am a big feartie :) 

Jim

Also worth remembering that Blue Origin plan to commence crewed launches this year; the commercial sector is ramping up while NASA is still buying crew space from Roscosmos.

I rather like the Blue Origin tagline - Launch. Land. Repeat

8 hours ago, Ags said:

But remember Blue Origin are doing suborbital hops - they get nowhere near the velocities needed for orbit.

With the New Shepard LV yes, but the New Glenn LV will be a massive leap forward, and indeed up!

Archived